Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have always been an outsider looking in. Now that I'm older (23) I'm trying to do many things on my own but often end up "directionless". I've never had a challenging environment, or even an environment where there are other people like me. I've always tried to make the best of what I had, but in the end I am always alone. Even if I'm alone and want something I often find it pointless because there is no one else to share it with. Who needs money or knowledge when there is no competition, no purpose, no goals?

Looking over this thread has made me realize that most gifted children (I'm still a child at heart :)) are put into environments to help them excel. I never had that. I have always been bored in everything I have done, primarily (I think) because I have not been put into the proper environment.

On the flip side, I can master any environment I am put into, be it the Army, College, social situations, etc. (been there, done that to all three). I seem to adapt extremely well. It would only seem sensible that put into a gifted society I would also perform well.

But what am I to do? I'm 23 years old and just got out of the Army (so I have to begin college at this point in my life). I really don't want to waste 4 years in a school when I can learn all of the material in only a few weeks. Is the damn diploma worth that much? I learn 10x faster elsewhere. I'm so lost.

Jason

Last edited by matteroftime; 02/01/11 09:18 PM.
    A
    A
    I'd advise you to get as much Advanced Placement, DANTES, and CLEP credit as you can, which will greatly cut down on the time that you have to spend in classes where you have already mastered the material, as well as saving you a great deal of money. Pick up an SAT or ACT review book, and blow through it, then take your entrance tests. If you score really well, you should be able to get into a top-tier school where the level of challenge will be more in line with your abilities, and you will have the opportunity to spend a few years working with others at a comparable level of intellect.

I tried to reply to your other post, but you had deleted it by the time I finished writing.

Edit: I don't know that most gifted children are put into environments to help them excel. I think that the people who post here are keyed in to the fact that their children are gifted, but a lot of parents and schools really have no clue. There are lots of us who have been in your shoes. You are not alone. Find "your people", and it will all get to be a lot more fun. I would bet that "your people" are in the gifted community.

Last edited by aculady; 02/01/11 09:35 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, I often change ideas rather quickly and apologize for not keeping that up frown

What's the corporate world like? If it's anything like the government I don't want any part of it.

I'd much rather start my own company, and wonder if I should be spending my time learning a valuable skill rather than going to college. I do agree that testing out would be very beneficial to me, so thank you for that insight.

A
    A
    I can't really say what the corporate world in general is like, because my only experience there was working for corporations that were government contractors. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I quit.

I have worked in academia, and I have owned my own businesses. I am currently self-employed. I far prefer working for myself, but my profession requires that I have licensure, which meant sitting through the classes, even though I had already thoroughly learned the material in the first few weeks of each semester. My perspective was that I wanted the license, and I was willing to do whatever it took to fulfill the requirements, even if it meant being bored in class. Once I had it, freedom was mine!

If you know what you want to do, use your education to develop not only knowledge and skills, but social contacts who may be able to help you get funding, and who can in turn introduce you to others who can help you later on in the process. Banks and investors are more likely to take a chance on you for your business if they see that you have completed a degree, even if it isn't directly relevant to your business, because it shows persistence and an ability to follow through.

Weigh everything, and make your decision,but don't dismiss college as wasted time. Often the contacts you make there can be the difference between success and failure in your own endeavors. That is one of the reasons why competitive schools are so competitive - the chance to get to know the best and brightest, and establish relationships with them that can last a lifetime.

T
    T
    Jason, I think most gifted children are not put into environments which help them excel. That's what online groups like this are for - to help people fight the system.

Have you looked into colleges where you can choose your courseload and do an overload? Or just enjoy the free time and have a busy couple of weeks come exam time like most other college students.

J
    J
    You sound like me at that age. But I was in college. I bounced around from major to major, and I settled to get out. The Army pays for your education, so go get it. Get it in underwater basketweaving or something very generic if you really can't decide. In the end, most of us in the corporate world aren't in the same field as our degree.

My children are challenged now because of me realizing I wasn't. I don't want them to be posting this when they are your age. If you do have kids, you will recognize this in them as well.

The good thing - you are still very young. So go and explore the world (whatever that means to you). If you hate it, mark it off your list and start the next one.

Hi Jason,
    Thanks for posting. I don't know what sort of career you are looking for, but the Gifted World needs more Psychologists, more Teachers, and more folks who can make a go of running schools that work for gifted kids. There are also online providers of education that need to develop programing for homeschooled gifted kids. So maybe you could create the environment you find most satisfying for yourself?

http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/
    and
    http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/

are programs that train teachers to work with gifted kids, perhaps you might find a nurturing place to do your undergraduate work in a similar situation.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM