Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Now I'm going to generalize even farther:
    "The problem with boys is that they can't control their behavior; The problem with girls is that they do."

With a female child who happens to have tradionally female strengths, I think it's imperitive to make sure the 'backround' you place them in is a good fit to their abilities and needs, because before you know it, they will start to blend into the backround. I don't know if it's cultural or biological or some of both, but I see it over and over. Sometimes for good, but often to the great disservice of the individual and society.
    Grinity

I think this is so right on.

Also, my PG SIL was strongly advised by the admissions officer at one college (I am thinking one of the smaller Virginia schools? but could be wrong) to major in English because she was a girl (this was <10 yrs ago). She didn't listen and is now just about to finish up her phd in genetics.

P
    P
    To further up on St. Pauli's point, if there is only a 50ish chance of getting into the magnet can you get in first and then decide?

Have you explored what other accomodations could be done at her current school? Seems like next year if she's there it would be nice if more than the hour a week pullout could happen.

Next question, will the kids at the gifted magnet elementary progress to the gifted middle school (where she would be going)? Or will they all switch around then? Will other kids from her elementary be going to the gifted middle school, or just her? Are the other 2 kids in her class that are GT going to be changing to the gifted magnet for 2nd, or staying put? Trying to get at how many times she will be needing to make new friends, how many kids would be going with her, etc.

Can you just call up the science teacher at the gifted magnet and see if they like birds? Or ask their front office staff if they can find out if any of the teachers at the school are birder types? Birds is not too rare an interest, at a gifted magnet there may be either a teacher or known particular kids who are really into birds.

On a separate note we got the "Bird Watching Trivia Game" for Xmas, DS3.5 is bird obsessed and loves it, if you don't have that your DD might like it, with 3 levels of questions there's a lot of room for varied levels of bird knowledge. Also there's fun bird quizzes at http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/animals/profile_birds.htm

Polly

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Oh yes--we are applying to the magnet no matter what. If she gets in, then we'll go from there.

Next question, will the kids at the gifted magnet elementary progress to the gifted middle school (where she would be going)? Or will they all switch around then? Will other kids from her elementary be going to the gifted middle school, or just her? Are the other 2 kids in her class that are GT going to be changing to the gifted magnet for 2nd, or staying put?

Yes, the kids at the magnet elementary are very likely to either go to the magnet middle or the pre-IB middle. A few will probably go from her current school to the gifted middle. The other presumed GT kids in her class have NOT been tested and are therefore not eligible for the magnet next year. That is very unfortunate. Her current school has done some not-great things WRT how it handles its GT stuff, and failing to test promptly is one of them. DD was only tested because we pushed for it rather relentlessly.

ETA--thank you for that link!! DD has been asking and asking for bird websites and links. She likes this site a lot: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/browse

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/24/11 07:36 PM.
    There is no gt magnet here, but there is a math science magnet which ds10 is trying for (for middle school). I figure it will be a better fit socially (at least a bit) but he does have a few friends he'd be leaving behind and his very best friend is currently at our regular middle school, so that is a bigger issue...we are doing the "applying first, figure it out if he gets in" thing.
    Testing here is a real slog, too, requesting, consideration, waiting, waiting some more, then when you least expect it, (and you kid probably has a cold or forgot their lunch...) they test. Sheesh. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM