Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #93388 01/23/11 10:31 PM
    katebee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi everyone smile

We have an appointment tomorrow with the school principal to advocate for DD's needs at school. It's a huge primary school with problems dealing with the growth in student numbers, so I'm concerned their offering to help may be less than forthcoming. Any pointers on what works best to get them on our side, rather than viewing us as a pain in the ass? wink I'm thinking playing the sympathy card may work best...

Cheers,
    Katebee xx

Last edited by katebee; 01/23/11 10:33 PM.

'I want, by understanding myself, to understand others.'
    K Mansfield
    Good luck!

My suggestion would be to focus on how much less work it will be for them in some way. Teachers are really busy, and if you show you understand that it is really hard for them, and there might be an easier way to go, they might take it.

But that is as a teacher. I've never tried as a parent, so again, I'll just say good luck!

T
    T
    I really work the angle of learning to work hard. Talk about how she needs to learn to rise to a challenge and not cruise along, how hard work is what gets you places in life, not inborn talent.

I also make sure to use the language that's in the law. Here that's "appropriate", but it's probably different for you. Have you read the info on this page?
    http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsupport/giftedandtalented/detcms/portal/

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculum...ovision/?oid=MultiPartArticle-id-1894853

These programs should focus on broadening individual students' knowledge and skills. We want all students in our schools to achieve the highest standards of learning possible so that they are equipped to deal effectively with the opportunities and challenges they encounter in a changing world. We want them to be enthusiastic about learning, in safe and supportive learning environments.

My gut feeling is that even if acceleration is your goal, don't go in asking for it, because it's a marker of "that parent". I also feel like you can't go wrong going in there quite deferentially (firm, and insistent but deferential).

I'd read up on the code words they're going to use, too, so you an ask for clarification or (carefully, deferentially) disagree with any excuses they bring up.

I stalked you, and I think that passing the blame along to the psychologist you saw is a good tactic.

Last edited by Tallulah; 01/24/11 12:43 PM.
    D
    D
    won't help for tomorrow--but I love the book From Emotions to Advocacy at Wrightslaw--would be a good tool for the future.

Good luck!

D
    D
    just wanted to add in--the wrightslaw guy (who I believe argued and won a case before the SC) is a big believer in the Matlock approach with schools.

We had the best success when we went in asking for their help, as in, "We have these crazy high test scores, and we're not sure what to do. Do you have ideas how to meet DC's needs?" (Of course, it helps to have some test scores, or a portfolio of things that your DD can do.) If you can make it a team effort, and offer suggestions, that may help.

What is it that you want for your DD? I would suggest making a list of the things you would like, and why, so that you can refer to it if things start heading a different direction.

katebee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone smile
    So we're home and it went really well! The principal was a little reticent at first but was okay with a one year acceleration and they are also looking at putting DD into the G&T extension classes two years early. We have a follow up meeting on Friday so we know which teacher she'll have etc. He wasn't so keen on homeschooling for the first term but didn't argue forcefully against it, acknowledging that decreasing her anxiety and building resiliency and confidence was a key priority. All in all I'm so pleased. I know it won't 'fix' DD but hopefully it should help.
    Thanks for your support and advice ladies. It certainly helped me advocate for DD's needs more effectively smile.
    Are you from WA too Tallulah? That'll be four of us including GeoMamma I've bumped into so far!
    K x

K Mansfield
    T
    T
    What great news!

I'm not from WA, I'm just gifted in Google. wink

Originally Posted by katebee
    Thanks everyone smile
    y helped me advocate for DD's needs more effectively smile.
    Are you from WA too Tallulah? That'll be four of us including GeoMamma I've bumped into so far!

smile Not in WA currently though!

Last edited by GeoMamma; 01/26/11 04:12 PM.
    katebee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    @Tallulah: Thanks for caring enough to search on Google Tallulah smile. That was a lovely thing to do!
    @GeoMamma: oops! Double fail on my part!
    K x

K Mansfield
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets