Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This got me thinking that the various age requirements of different states are so broad that it makes the schools' quibbling over a few weeks or days to "grant" early entry seem ludicrous.

Cathy

Good point!

Kriston
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh they're ludicrous without that factored in, crazy .

LOL! You got that right! It all just seems so blindingly obvious, and yet they make everything sooooo difficult. Last week the principal made sure to mention to me how "unusual" my requests for DS are. I wanted to say, "But he's a very unusual boy!" I don't think that's what she meant, though. She meant that I was forcing everybody to put forth unusual effort to do something for my child. So I made sure to thank her for all she's done to smooth the way for him. I am grateful, but on the other hand I feel like handling requests like this is part of their job...

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Update: DS went to K in the morning and 1st in the afternoon all week last week. It seemed to go well and the principal seemed satisified with DS' performance at recess.

We are now in stage 2, DS goes to K until 10am and then goes to first grade, eats lunch with the first graders and finishes the day with them. It sure feels weird not to pick him up for lunch! I'm crossing my fingers that all has gone well today--no calls from the school is a good sign.

DS' K class is going on a field trip on Weds. this week. He was given the choice to go on the field trip or spend the day in the first grade class. I expected him to choose the field trip, but he chose the first grade class! He said it was because he had been to that museum several times already (true). I am relieved because I hate chaperoning those things. It's just chaos--like trying to herd cats.

Last edited by Cathy A; 03/03/08 02:30 PM.
    Great news! It looks like everything is going really well. Pretty soon he will be full time in the 1st grade!

LMom
    Mia Offline
    Oh, Cathy, it sounds like it's going great! You must be proud of your little guy!

I'm jealous. smile

Mia
    Mia #10270 03/03/08 11:52 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am proud of my little guy smile It really amazes me how self-possessed he is. My DD was barely holding it together for first grade when she was six. She is one of those very sensitive kids. DS is totally different. He wants to change classes, he wants a challenge, he wants to do more math, science and reading. Writing he regards as a chore...but we're working on that.

He had a good day. Even though someone "crashed into him" at lunch recess, he was able to recover.

His first grade teacher seems really enthusiastic about him and about me coming in and doing a math lab for her. She is really the one who is making this work. She was willing to give him a chance and she really put in the effort to integrate him into the class. This makes a HUGE difference!

He was accelerated to K last year (when he had just turned 4) with lousy results. The reason? The teacher was not on board with it. She undermined and excluded him.

I am so hopeful that it will "take" this time smile

Cathy

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    DS' K class is going on a field trip on Weds. this week. He was given the choice to go on the field trip or spend the day in the first grade class. I expected him to choose the field trip, but he chose the first grade class! He said it was because he had been to that museum several times already (true). I am relieved because I hate chaperoning those things. It's just chaos--like trying to herd cats.

That has to look good to the school folks - they just don't expect a kid who would choose learning over a field trip!

Glad that the recieving teacher is so into him - that makes all the difference!

Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Woo Hoo! It's official smile DS is now a first grader!

(Whew!)

YAY!!!!

grin

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM