Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    LMom #9397 02/22/08 02:07 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So far, so good! DS was so excited to go to first grade that he inhaled his lunch and we ended up being 10mins early. The teacher seemed very welcoming, showed him where to put his things and where to sit. I tried to say goodbye but DS didn't even hear me, he was so focused on what he was going to do.

They will be going to music class and then recess (where he has plans to meet up with his big sis) and then back to class for some language arts work.

His K teacher told me that if this goes well they will switch him full time to 1st in a week or two. She doesn't want to drop him from the K roster until we're sure about the switch because someone will immediately fill his spot (our district is very crowded.)

Cathy

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Sounds great! And if you can keep moving him every 6 months or so, this just might work, grin .

Ha! That would actually be a great set up for a lot of these kids if you could get it. smile

It sounds like a very positive move. Make sure that you go out of your way to thank the admins and teachers who made it happen!

Mia Offline
    Sounds great! And if you can keep moving him every 6 months or so, this just might work, grin .

LOL, Dottie! Oh, the joys of parenting ... laugh

Mia
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline

Yeah, one step at a time, right smile

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    It sounds like a very positive move. Make sure that you go out of your way to thank the admins and teachers who made it happen!

I promise!

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just got back from picking up the kids. I checked in with Mrs. First Grade as she was leaving. I asked her how it went and she said it was great, he was a pleasure to have in class, he "blended in well" with the other kids and that he took a spelling test. He got them all wrong, LOL, because it was all words like "boat", "goat", etc and he spelled them "bote", "gote" and so on. But he was game to try the spelling test even without having seen the list and the teacher didn't seem to expect him to know how to spell them.

Cathy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie, I'm not worried about the spelling. DS learns spelling words easily. He knows how to spell "turquoise" because he asked me how to spell it. I guess he just never needed to spell "goat"! But he could EASILY learn a list like that--as the teacher will find out next week when he gets the spelling list along with everyone else. I'm going to ask him on Sunday to spell the words for me and I bet he will already have learned them (and memorized most of the list.)

I think this placement is great for him. Finally, something to actually work on smile

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 02/22/08 05:21 PM.
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You know Cathy, I keep forgetting your son is barely 5! You've really accomplished a lot in his short educational career!!!!! He wouldn't even be in kindergarten in our district. We were still a year "behind" you at this stage of the game.

Well, the early K was not my accomplishment. Here in CA, he made the cutoff by 2 weeks. Most kids his age are redshirted around here, though.

I did get him into a private K when he turned 4. It didn't go well...it makes me a little nervous about our current endeavor but I think we have to keep trying.

Cathy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, that's my plan. We plan to move to WA. Seriously!

Last edited by Cathy A; 02/22/08 05:35 PM.
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM