Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 465 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #92151 01/06/11 01:54 PM
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I just had the best IEP meeting ever.:)

- I was told that while his writing isn't getting better, the OT feels that it is not because he is resisting. She thinks there are some weak ligament issues that make him hold his pencil uncomfortably and at this point, she feels it would be hard to push him more. She's going to keep working with him, but start introducing him to touch typing programs.

-Everyone feels that he's made tremendous progress this year. They told me this story: DS8, who has AS, walked up to the new boy in class yesterday, looked him straight in the eye and shook his hand, introducing himself. He also braved a loud environment he usually avoids in order to say hi to the daughter of one of the teachers.

-He is more often calmly expressing his needs and wants.

Now, when he is really challenged, he tends to get whiny and tantrum and stuff. So his Gifted teacher expressed concerns. I explained to everyone at the table that I was a Gifted student, and because I was never challenged, I failed a term in MIT. I failed because I didn't know how to study, I didn't know how to fail and struggle past it, and I didn't know how to pick myself back up and dust myself off and keep going. The things that all students should know. And I told them that despite how much he resisted being challenged, he needed to learn those skills. The teacher and gifted teacher's eyes lit up and they nodded, "That makes total sense." I was in total complete shock at the agreement.

Anyways, Best.IEP/GIEP.Ever.

Artana #92152 01/06/11 01:57 PM
    YAAAAAYYYYY to you!!! I love hearing about their eyes lighting up instead of glazing over smile Nan

Artana #92153 01/06/11 01:59 PM
    Congratulations!! It is great when it works out the way it should. Sounds like you have a good team and that you are a tremendous advocate. Pat on the back, mom!

Artana #92154 01/06/11 02:29 PM
    D
    D
    Artana, congrats to you for expressing the needs so cogently and persuasively. Well done!!!

Isn't it lovely when they spontaneously offer you evidence of progress?

DeeDee

Artana #92157 01/06/11 03:20 PM
    Originally Posted by Artana
    Now, when he is really challenged, he tends to get whiny and tantrum and stuff. So his Gifted teacher expressed concerns. I explained to everyone at the table that I was a Gifted student, and because I was never challenged, I failed a term in MIT. I failed because I didn't know how to study, I didn't know how to fail and struggle past it, and I didn't know how to pick myself back up and dust myself off and keep going. The things that all students should know. And I told them that despite how much he resisted being challenged, he needed to learn those skills.

Yippee!!!! Sing it! So true! So nice to hear a good report and open some minds.
    I think the reason the US educational system is behind other countries is EXACTLY this this concern that teachers have not to push kids past their 'non-whiney' zone.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Artana #92193 01/07/11 05:51 AM
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks you guys. Thestruggle has been so hard and emotionally draining that I never thought I would have a meeting like this. And I know that a lot of other people feel the same, so I wanted to show that there is a little bit of light here and there.:)

Artana #92220 01/07/11 11:28 AM
    V
    V
    as my DS says HALLALULA, a break through. The only things that scares me is that the gifted teacher seemed surprized about a kid whining about a challange. she never heard of the underachiever. Duh.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM