Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Luckily we can always we can always go with "kid's are resilient. As long as the parents are flexible and willing to drop any plans and change direction within 15 minutes of hearing a convincing reason..." the family will be fine.
    Right now I'm putting a variety of activity's on the boy's plate with the minimum expectation that he be willing to dabble in everything and letting him determine the depth. From what I'm reading online this could be wrong. If I let him chose only his preferred activities he will learn to operate at a deeper level which is transferable to every other activity. But I think he'll have access to his own natural depth either way. I tell myself, "every mother must over-think every little thing too much.". " Just quit thinking and go vaccum or dust the furniture.". I tell myself, Lol.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    but that still leaves goals like 'getting to know one's true self through hard work' and 'learning how to engage with the challenge of learning material at the top of ones readiness level.'

I talk myself in and out of agreeing with the psychologist on a daily basis. I wish so very badly that there were better (any) resources in our area. We can't even find a group of peers for DD because there are NO gifted groups or associations... no gifted programs... nothing. I love the idea that she would get to know herself through hard work. I just wish I could wave a magic motivation wand at her. At best, she gives a moderate effort at the things she is interested in.

I love this forum and reading others' posts and responses. It challenges me to be open minded and reminds me that I am not the only one struggling, doubting and worrying. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    We can't even find a group of peers for DD because there are NO gifted groups or associations... no gifted programs... nothing. I love the idea that she would get to know herself through hard work. I just wish I could wave a magic motivation wand at her. At best, she gives a moderate effort at the things she is interested in.
    It is too bad that there isn't decent resource evenly distributed....this is the very reason why so many of us 'settle' for gradeskips. But remember that
    'gifted' is just a label, and not a very helpful one at that. Look for chess clubs, library book groups, Reptile clubs, science fiction fan groups...keep an open mind.Try things. See if your state gifted society has any programing or telephone support. Once you figure out where your local peers are hiding it gets a lot easier - sometimes the organization is very informal.

Peers can be agemates, interestmates, or thinking level mates. Depends on circumstances. I think the trick is to mix and match.

The way I look at is 'Parents are in charge of the environment, kids are in charge of what use they make of it.'

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    I love this forum and reading others' posts and responses. It challenges me to be open minded and reminds me that I am not the only one struggling, doubting and worrying. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

yes, 100% agree.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent