Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    vicam #92244 01/07/11 07:12 PM
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks vicam for the ideas. I especially like the talking to DH while puttering idea -- DH is much less emotional than me (DS is right that I sometimes "react too much"), and I'm sure DS would have an easier time talking to him about what's bothering him at school (which I have now gleaned is something social not academic). Its just making sure that DH (more of the strong, silent type) finds the "right moment" sometime before next year. wink

Verona #92247 01/07/11 07:59 PM
    Meditation, eh? I like the woo-woo. Yoga is the combination of the breath, the focus, and the gaze. It's for the cultivation of self-control, both the kind where you do less of what you don't want to do as well as the kind where you do more of what you tell yourself to do. I used to complain when I would stop to eat or sleep in the middle of a project. I'd say, "aggravating demanding body, doesn't it know it's here to serve me, not the other way around?". I like Richard Freeman's Ashtanga yoga, where the meditation is in the vinyassa, in the movement. I'm sure there's the same meditation within judo, tai chi, etc..

I'm not sure but from what I'm reading maybe he's not trying to calm, maybe he likes the woo-woo and wants to sharpen his focus. Tell him a psychic told me "we're always time traveling. It's just we usually do only going forward in slow motion. You should consciously focus on time traveling backwards by remembering. Just hold onto your memories a few seconds longer, whenever they happen. Try to see the details in your memory of your surroundings a littl more clearly."

And then there's something else they're selling on the Internet called "remote viewing". Supposedly it's real, and the guvament uses it, yeah, whatever. They had a class at the omega college in NY, I just couldn't go at the time. I think it would use the same part of the brain that you visualize what you read with. Like they always tell the kids, "a good reader can see movies of what thy're reading in their head.

On one hand if this kind of fun and nonsense can help him sharpen his memory recall and become a little more observant of paying attention to details o er time, that's great. On the other hand I think many of us want to be a little less different or a little more normal, I don't think this type of spiritual enhancement meditations will help much.

Hey Grinnity, I love Cesar Milan. I've just started watching his show all the time. I was going to post the other day that he taught a girl to walk her dog by making his obedience lessons over the top exciting. He told her to make dog's memory of training day be at least as intense as the dogs memory of it's trauma. It reminded me of the nurtured heart, making sure you feed your child more energy when they're having a good day than you give them when they're having a bad day. I laughed and didn't post it because, well, I compared a kid to a dog. No, no, I mean Cesar Milan's stuff is good and resonates with a part our nature too. Like he says don't treat a dog like a person, that's not fair. It confuses them. I was thinking about something I heard long ago about people having an animal and an angel mind. I compared that to establishing habits in our animal mind so that our higher order thinking can stay in the clouds while our feet are on autopilot.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM