Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, DeeDee, I scheduled an appt. with DD's pediatrician for his first available spot, Feb 1st. That gives me time to do my homework. How would I activate a school district evaluation, just call?

DD's issues show up on this list of sensory processing problems:

http://www.pdd.org/docs/cent/Sensory_Integraton_Dysfunction.pdf

Judging by this, I'd say our DD has a problem with proprioception, especially. I thnk I might print this list and use it as a basis for my conversation with DD's ped.

I see there is current discussion about autism spectrum disorders having some sensory subtypes.

J Autism Dev Disord. 2010 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]

Brief Report: Further Evidence of Sensory Subtypes in Autism.
    Lane AE, Dennis SJ, Geraghty ME.

Division of Occupational Therapy, School of Allied Medical Professions, The Ohio State University, 406C Atwell Hall, 453 West 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43210, USA, lane.350@osu.edu.

Abstract
    Distinct sensory processing (SP) subtypes in autism have been reported previously. This study sought to replicate the previous findings in an independent sample of thirty children diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Model-based cluster analysis of parent-reported sensory functioning (measured using the Short Sensory Profile) confirmed the triad of sensory subtypes reported earlier. Subtypes were differentiated from each other based on degree of SP dysfunction, taste/smell sensitivity and vestibular/proprioceptive processing. Further elucidation of two of the subtypes was also achieved in this study. Children with a primary pattern of sensory-based inattention could be further described as sensory seekers or non-seekers. Children with a primary pattern of vestibular/proprioceptive dysfunction were also differentiated on movement and tactile sensitivity.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P.S. I don't think DD has Asperger's, just from what little I've read, and how I know her Uncle and Aunt (with AS) to be.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM