Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    "But I am surprised the nerve I hit"

Are you, really?

"It is by its very nature, our need to be competitive for the resources our children need."

-no

"How's that for rebuttal? Now we could keep this up, but I am getting bored. I am more interested in my other comment about non-linear and linear learning styles and their correlation with giftedness and motivation."

Do you realize that this comes across as somewhat hostile?

Incog

This is my exact response as well. Well put, 'Neato!

I'll also echo Grinity's question, which is the same one I asked before as well, but you still haven't addressed: what is it you're looking for, Ren?

You said you started this thread because of some need of yours, but you never explained that need. Were you really asking for help...or is there something else going on here?

Kriston
    My dd's swim coach was talking to the kids in her team the other day. She complimented them on their behavior at their last swim meet. Some of the children that were not competing come just to cheer their team (even though the competition started at 8:00 a.m). Most of the children that came to compete stayed thru the entire meet even after they had completed their events. We had the loudest, most visible team.

She told the children that she was proud of the ribbons they had won, but she was even prouder of how they had supported each other and how they had cheered on their teammates on. She told them that was being in a team meant.

I think that we as parents of GT children are a team. We cheer each other thru advocacies and grade skips. We support each other thru difficult situations with the schools. We cry together when we see a child in a bad school situation. Yes, we are ready to fight for our children, but not each other. We are a team and a victory for one of our children is a victory for the team.

I have also found this site incredibly informative and supportive. As for you Dottie, you are a well of information. If ever we need a question on numbers, you are our gal. Grinity, your post are always uplifting and incredibly fun to read.

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Sometimes achieving this has led to improvements for other children in the various school districts whose parents are not directly involved in the conversation. So, really, I see that as increasing the available resources, or the number of pies (Mmmmm, pie...)

I�m here because: I see myself in the children described, I see myself in the other parents, and I am lonely and seek reassurance that my experiences are normal, in some sense of the word. To me, it feels like companionship rather than competition, but as always, YMMV.

I couldn't have said this better. I concur! smile

Kcab-

Too much pie talk! You're making me hungry now!

LOL, no wonder I like you. You appreciate disorganized people! C'mon over any time, I'll kick a path from the door and we can have tea.

(Nah, my house isn't that bad, it just feels that way sometimes!)

K
    K
    Kcab and bianca (and others too) - lovely posts!

And Lorel - you're homeschooling 4 kids. I truly HOPE your home looks lived in! Mine certainly does.

Ah, but oldest ds is away at college, so I only have the excuse of three at home. Does that still give me enough to warrant a messy house? wink

I have ten or twelve different types of tea. I'll put on the cyber-kettle!

You have a DH, too, yes? He usually counts as two kids when it comes to messiness! LOL!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    I have ten or twelve different types of tea. I'll put on the cyber-kettle!

Nice selection smile I have a shelf or two wink full of boxes of loose tea. As a matter of fact I am drinking my morning cup of tea right now.

LMom
    I have lots of tea too and am enjoying a cup right now also. And I LOVE pie (all types) so can I come too??? smile

EandC

My mouth still hurts from my surgery. Can you stick my pie in a blender first?

laugh

Kriston
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM