Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    I agree with MoN's suggestion to encourage your daughter to ask the teacher what he was looking for.

Will the graded paper be sent home soon so you can see how the teacher arrived at the 75%? If so, I'd suggest waiting to see that, and reviewing to see whether the teacher seems to be unreasonably changing his standard. If he is, I would suggest meeting with him yourself to address the fairness of his grading system (or lack thereof).

C
    C
    I don't know when, or if, we'll see the graded paper. I'll ask dd today when she gets home if she's gotten it back.

C
    C
    Oh wow! Does this sound like my DS10's teachers or what?!? We have been so frustrated with this same thing! Cricket2, are her grades falling in just this one subject? I ask because a few things that you wrote, really stuck out for me . You said since starting middleschool, that things have gotten worse and that she doesn't know when assignments are due etc...This is just a thought, I know you were considering an ADD assessment...My understanding after talking to parents, teachers, students...Is that when you get to middleschool, your need for organization and heightened "executive functioning" skills are in a much higher demand. When our kids are younger, smarts get them by. As they get older and the demands of organization come into play, it gets harder and harder for some kids to keep up. It sounds like she is missing some key points about her assignments...My son was not writing down what the teacher would specifically say/need/want, so assignments became very confusing. Like your daughter, my son was very capable and at the last second, could easily whip out an 'A' paper. The problem was that his grades started to drop because he was missing out writing down specifics. Plus, his teacher is a total control freak, (It sounds like your daughter's teacher is too) which doesn't help matters! In a hurry so sorry if rambling...I just had to respond because your situation was sounding so much like my sons! I feel for you! Let us know how it's going smile

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cecilia
    You said since starting middleschool, that things have gotten worse and that she doesn't know when assignments are due etc...This is just a thought, I know you were considering an ADD assessment...My understanding after talking to parents, teachers, students...Is that when you get to middleschool, your need for organization and heightened "executive functioning" skills are in a much higher demand.
    No, that's my younger dd for whom we are considering ADD. Dd12 skipped 5th grade and has maintained straight A+s with a few As throughout middle school. She had all As and A+s on her first quarter report card. She's an 8th grader now.

The teacher, himself, confirmed that he isn't giving them due dates. He thinks that there is some odd benefit to this and feels that they should just work away at things without knowing when they are due with the realization that they are due sometime.

She has very few grades in for this current quarter, but she has A+s in all other subjects thus far. Dd12 has just finally started using a planner a bit this year but has relied on her nearly photographic memory in years past and has never missed a due date. I don't think that the problem is on her end. Other parents have kids in this class who are having the same issue.

C
    C
    Well, you can tell I've been multitasking just a little too much these days! Haha...Thanks for clearing up Cricket2 ... I hope it gets better for you daughter! smile

T
    T
    Because they are lazy and can't get fired for being lazy !

V
    V
    This teacher may have alos discovered the ability of the group and has raised the expectations for the group as a whole. Ask for the grading rubric for written assignments. How will the work be assessed. What percentage is subjective and what is criteria based. If it is an advanced course and everyone is getting A's than they need a greater challange without challange we do not advance.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM