Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    me2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello smile

I'm very new here; I've been lurking for less than a week, but I'm so happy I've found these boards. Please bear with me since I haven't yet picked up some of the lingo.

My 7yo (2nd grade) son seems to have given up on school/learning on a whole. I'm a Mensa member who gave up in 4th grade, so I was on the lookout for signs of my son losing interest.

A bit of background: We recognized very early that my son seemed to be ahead. He began speaking very early, and his vocabulary was huge. By the time he entered K, he was reading on a second grade level, could tell time, add/subtract, etc. More importantly, he loved to learn. He would come home and work on 2nd grade work for the rest of the evening.

Despite my asking his teacher for more difficult work, he sat there for a year socializing while everyone learned their ABC's, colors, etc.

First grade was more of the same. He was in a 1/2nd split class, but placed in a lower 1st grade reading group. At one point, I had to take his books to school and show his teacher what he's reading at home, but she didn't believe me. She kept the books and had my son read them to her the next day. After that, he was moved up to the highest 2nd grade reading group. Shortly after, he was testing around 4th grade level. By the end first grade, he tested at late 6th grade reading level/early 6th grade comprehension. (Does that correlate with Comprehension subtest score?) --He holds conversations like an adult.

So, now we're in second grade, and his teacher told me she's placed him in the third grade reading group "to challenge him." wink Midway through first grade, he no longer wanted to learn at home. But now, we battle from the time he gets home from school until the time he goes to bed for him to do his homework.

He sees his classwork as boring and 'for babies.' My son is very strong willed, and if he doesn't want to do something, good luck trying to get him to do it. Really, the only things he's interested in at the moment are: astronomy, computers, dinosaurs and star wars.

I took him to a child psychologist because I've been noticing fits of rage/crying over simple things. She said he's perfectly well adjusted, but just frustrated and bored. She encouraged me to get his IQ tested, and set one up with her colleague.

His WISC-IV scores:

Verbal Comprehension

(Scaled scores)
    Similarities 15
    Vocabulary 13
    Comprehension 13

Perceptual Reasoning
    (Scaled)
    Block Design 14
    Picture Concepts 17
    Matrix Reasoning 15

Working Memory
    (Scaled)
    Digit Span 7
    Letter-Number Sequencing 11

Processing Speed
    (Scaled)
    Coding 10
    Symbol Search 13

Composite
    Verbal Comprehension 121
    Perceptual Reasoning 133
    Working Memory 94
    Processing Speed 109

FSIQ 121
    GAI 132

She mentions in her report that my son was constantly moving and had difficulty staying in his seat. She said he was lying on the floor (he told me he crawled under her desk). "He was highly distracted and it was sometimes necessary to repeat task instructions to ensure understanding." She also said that he answered a lot of very simple questions incorrectly. (This is the behavior I see when he's not interested, minus the laying on the floor. Is it something more than disinterest?)

My son told her that he forgets easily, but I'm not sure it's a true statement because my son has no trouble at all remembering/focusing on things he's interested in.

The tester, who specializes in disorders like ADHD, discussed my son's results with me and said his scores (and observed behavior) are common in children who have disorders similar to ADD. She said that she could not make a diagnosis because she didn't do that type of evaluation that day. By the time I left her office, I was convinced that my son had ADHD or some other disorder. After thinking about things for the last week, though, I'm not so sure.

Here are some questions I have:

1. My very outgoing son (who talks to every stranger on the street) became very shy upon meeting the tester. So much, that it jarred me a bit. I've never seen him like that. (He didn't know he was there for a test and was looking forward to playing games.) He was still acting shy upon leaving, also.

If his shyness persisted during the test, could it affect his verbal score? I ask because of all the scores, I was very surprised by his verbal score. Our family and friends would pretty much bet that Verbal would be his highest score. --Something doesn't add up there.

Further, he tends to ignore me if I try to ask/teach him something he's not interested in. He just blows me off and gives me a random answer--in the event he even does answer, that is. I would assume this type of behavior could affect his Verbal scores, correct?

2. While my son does have high energy and is quite intense, stubborn, etc., I have never been aware or heard of him lying on the floor or crawling under someone's desk in public. My son is very good in public, and is a people pleaser. His teachers say he's a well behaved student, and they've never seen any behavior problems with him, etc.

I don't think the tester is lying, but I'm at a loss as to what was going on with my son that day. When he's tired, he's overly hyper. He had adenoid issues that were interfering with sleep. However, I asked the tester how she knows this is a behavior disorder instead of medical. --I mentioned he has a current thyroid problem (lab work is way off) that hasn't been treated. She told me if it were thyroid, the one on one environment would help him concentrate, but it didn't. However, I have the same thyroid problem and a lot of concentration/memory problems. One on one does not help me. So, I'm not sure where she's going with that. Does anyone here have a clue?

3. I've done research here and elsewhere since his test, and I now understand that Working Memory and Processing Speed are normally lower in gifted kids. Is that possibly what's going on here?

4. I've been researching various disorders like ADHD, Aspergers, etc. While some things do fit, those same things also fit for gifted children. For example: intense interest in one subject for a period of time, also, his handwriting is atrocious. My son maintains eye contact and his social skills seem fine. He has a lot of friends, despite the fact that he keeps telling everyone how smart he is. frown

My son seems to not be able to focus, for example, on spelling (he finds it boring). When I tell him how to spell a word and have him repeat it back, he says he doesn't remember. (Again, not interested.) However, he focuses just fine on multiplication--and has no trouble remembering, even short term. He has no attention problems when it comes to dinosaurs, black holes, red giants or white dwarfs. He can tell you how many moons each planet has and countless other facts I certainly don't remember. Why? --Because he remembers. wink

The tester told me not to change his school situation (subject acceleration- public school) because it would overwhelm him given his 'issues.' She did say that once these 'issues' are dealt with, she expects his scores to increase "across the board". She wrote in his report that his current score does not reflect his actual potential, and expects that it's a significant underestimate of his optimal capabilities. However, my son has since (finally) talked to me, and told me that he wants harder work in school. He promised that he will do his homework if that happens.

So, if any of you are still with me, please help me figure out what's going on with my son. I don't want to put him into the wrong environment, either way. I don't know what to do at this point. I will say that I'm terrified of him giving up. I apologize for the length of this. It's nice to talk to people who actually understand!!

Thanks so much!

Holly

Last edited by me2; 11/01/10 08:42 PM.
    I seem to have a lot of the same questions about my son, but I unfortunately have no answers.

My son is 14 & has given up on school. He says things like "Why do I have to go to school - aren't you supposed to learn things there?"

He is gifted in some areas, but seems almost disabled in others. He is completely lost and conflicted.

Sorry I am of no help except to let you know that there are others who are in the same boat.

P
    P
    "I mentioned he has a current thyroid problem (lab work is way off) that hasn't been treated. She told me if it were thyroid, the one on one environment would help him concentrate, but it didn't. However, I have the same thyroid problem and a lot of concentration/memory problems. One on one does not help me. So, I'm not sure where she's going with that. Does anyone here have a clue?"

Hi Holly -- Firstly welcome, glad you found these boards.

A thyroid problem that causes thyroid levels to be either low or high could impact testing performance, school performance, school enjoyment, distractability, etc. Either high or low thyroid levels can cause a person to be upset or cry more easily than usual too. If he has even a subtle thyroid problem that may be the first thing to address and then if his behavior and school enjoyment isn't back to normal try to retest (with a different test to make it a fair test) after you've determined his thyroid levels have been well within an optimal range for at least 6 weeks.

Polly

O
    O
    It sounds like you might want to look into other schooling options. My DS had ADHD behavior when he was in an unappropriate school sitution. Others here can relate to the scores better. I'll leave that to them.

M
    me2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MomNicole
    I seem to have a lot of the same questions about my son, but I unfortunately have no answers.

My son is 14 & has given up on school. He says things like "Why do I have to go to school - aren't you supposed to learn things there?"

He is gifted in some areas, but seems almost disabled in others. He is completely lost and conflicted.

Sorry I am of no help except to let you know that there are others who are in the same boat.

I'm very sorry for what your son (and you, also) is going through.

While I certainly don't know the details of your situation, I was miles ahead in writing and languages, but had trouble with the most simple math. --I'm a 35 year old Mensa member with a 5th grade math level. Of course, I've never had help with my problem.

I hope you're able to find the help your son needs, whatever it may be.

I wish you the best.

M
    me2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Polly
    Hi Holly -- Firstly welcome, glad you found these boards.

A thyroid problem that causes thyroid levels to be either low or high could impact testing performance, school performance, school enjoyment, distractability, etc. Either high or low thyroid levels can cause a person to be upset or cry more easily than usual too. If he has even a subtle thyroid problem that may be the first thing to address and then if his behavior and school enjoyment isn't back to normal try to retest (with a different test to make it a fair test) after you've determined his thyroid levels have been well within an optimal range for at least 6 weeks.

Polly
    Hi Polly, and thanks for the welcome. smile

You've reinforced my thinking, and I appreciate it. Before the assessment began, I mentioned to the tester that my son has an active thyroid problem (Graves' Disease, and in full swing, currently). I told her that it was my understanding that it can mimic other disorders, such as ADHD, at times. --Even so, she doesn't think his problems are medical (thyroid, etc.) in origin.

He has an appointment with an Endocrinologist next week, so hopefully, attending to that part of the problem with make things more clear for me.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.

M
    me2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    It sounds like you might want to look into other schooling options. My DS had ADHD behavior when he was in an unappropriate school sitution. Others here can relate to the scores better. I'll leave that to them.

Thanks very much for your input. I'm going to keep this in mind once his thyroid issues have been addressed.

Holly

I agree that the first thing you need to do is resolve the medical issues. If the thyroid condition could have influenced the testing, then it likely is influencing his behavior at home and school as well. It should be the first thing to be addressed.

After you have addressed the medical issue, then you might want to consider retesting. The testing psychologist did say that he exhibited ADD type behaviors, she didn't diagnosis him, and that seems fair. It sounds like some behaviors did fall in that range. But of course, many things that ID ADD or ADHD also ID a normal kid who is simply exuberent or a gifted kid who is bored or a regular kid who hasn't been taught how to behave (this seems unlikely in your case since you say he is well behaved at school). So, your job is to tease apart what is really what. I think a good test done while his thyroid condition is under control would help you start to figure it out.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you will need a new school. So far it seems like they have been somewhat good about moving him along. You may find that even with a full blown advocacy push they won't challenge him as much as he needs, but until you try (and you will likely need some test scores to move them, but maybe you will find you need achievement type testing and not IQ) you won't really know. Since he is in second grade, maybe you could start with having him take the SCAT test. It was useful to us when we started advocating for our DS last year, and it is quick and not expensive.

You said he agreed to harder work - have you discussed that with the teacher yet?

Cat

I also meant to add, that I don't think it is unusual for kids who used to be "into" learning all the time at ages 4, 5, and 6 to become less enthusiastic as they get older. My DS8 sometimes is just tired when he gets home from school and just wants to zone out - he may only have energy to focus on the things that he is most interested in . I don't blame him one bit - I feel the same way after work. I don't view this as a sign that he is turned off from learning as much as a sign that I wish I could HS him, just because so much of his time at Public School is sucked up in non-productive ways (and our PS has been working pretty well with us to keep him challenged).

I agree with Catalana. All the parameters may change once the thyroid issues are dealt with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM