Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 173 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yeah, what they said! Seriously, we went through this with DS7 to an extent. He was afraid to do things that he was afraid would be too hard. It was based in large part to the fact that up to that point he hadn't had to work for anything. When he was presented with a challenge, he balked. Fast forward a year and he's gotten over it, but I wonder if it had gone on for a longer period if it would have been so easily corrected.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    B
    BillNJ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Good point, if things are easy, you miss out on learning to handle difficult problems. I hadn't thought about that. �It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer .� Albert Einstein
    Good ideas too about developing other interests in music, sports, Lego Mindstorms, etc.. The internet is irresistible to my DS (and me) but I think for the good of our family we need to break that habit.
    As for the G&T program in the public school, my DD went through it in grade school. It was a not too good pull out program, but it did get better in the 6th grade with dedicated classes for G&T math and English.
    Thanks again.

Last edited by BillNJ; 10/21/10 07:11 PM.
    T
    T
    Good post. I wonder the same thing. Will our kids really lose their potential if they are stagnant for years. That is my fear. It is just so sad to me a kid in school for years not learning. I just have no other choice by me. CTY is my only option for some help. I just hope it is enough.

T
    T
    Yep isn't that the truth. We had to leave a "gifted" program because it was not gifted. It was not advanced just a label. We had to do a skip to get some accelerated material.

B
    BillNJ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Today I saw my DS�s math test, with the usual 100% grade. My DS, who's reserved and hardly complains about anything, told me �they expect you to study for the test, but there�s no need to, it is so simple. The only time I make a mistake is when my brain falls asleep, because it is so boring�.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by BillNJ
    my son told me �they expect you to study (for the test) but there�s no need to because it is so simple. The only time I make a mistake is when my brain falls asleep, because it is so boring�.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Anyone else hearing alarm bells besides me? wink

S
    S
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Good post. I wonder the same thing. Will our kids really lose their potential if they are stagnant for years. That is my fear. It is just so sad to me a kid in school for years not learning. I just have no other choice by me. CTY is my only option for some help. I just hope it is enough.

I totally agree! That is my biggest fear. DS's grade skip did not bother me as much as fearing he is continuing to lack the challenges he needs.

OP - your son's lack of complaining & that math test statement would be a worry. Just because they don't come out & say they're unhappy, are we supposed to leave well enough alone or are comments like that in their head & they just don't share them.

I do not think it's ok not to challenge them for 2 yrs but DS is pretty much in that boat & I have not found a solution for it yet. Afterschooling is ok but sometimes feels like extra work to DS. It would be nice if challenges are instead of easy work, not in addition to regular school.

O
    O
    I have tried to make the after school challenges more like fun. Chess, lego robotics, nature classes. I think this helps.

I also think showing by example helps. I got some problem solving Math books and did them with my son. I showed how it was fun for me and tried to be ambitious about it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM