Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #86513 10/03/10 05:49 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/27/13 12:31 PM.
    Don't know what age group this is. It's on my Amazon wish list:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=aw_wl_p2?a=0590494554

It's just a book.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    I highly recommend Wilson Reading - it changed my son from a non-reader into one who reads above his reading level. It's strong on logic and is highly effective on older students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_reading_system

I don't have any suggestions for you, MoN, but wanted to add that I am following this with great interest. I also have a DS10 who has difficulties with writing and may have dysgraphia/ADHD. He has a fantastic amount of knowledge in his head, but struggles to get anything down on paper. I don't know if his thoughts are happening too quickly to get them down before he forgets them, or if he has problems organizing this thoughts. However, if I let him dictate to me, then his words and ideas flow out with richness and complexity. Otherwise, I get the bare minimum.

If you find something that helps your DS, would you mind reporting back about it? The Middle School level, with emphasis on topic sentences and logic flow sound perfect to me!

Thanks,
    ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I haven't done these, but I've heard they are lots of fun:
    Online G3: Guinevere's Gifted Group
    www.onlineg3.com/

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    H
    CTY offers Crafting the Essay http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/writingcourses/cdw3andema3.html which is excellent! The instructor's feedback was almost as long as my son's essay each week. They were color coded for needs improvement, positive feedback and neutral comments and were usually pretty balanced between the three colors which encouraged improvement while building confidence.

The Web-based version gave a real classroom experience by requiring the kids to participate in on-line discussions and provide useful criticism on their classmates writing. They also have a social area called Pizza Party where the kids can have non-course related discussions. My son took this class 4 years ago and still maintains contact with several of his classmates.

T
    T
    That course looks great. I am so glad CTY offers writing classes. MY DS7 is taking a reading class now and it is really filling a void. He is getting more out of it than the math classes. I am really impressed by it. The teachers really work hard giving every student great feedback.

D
    D
    I can second the CTY programs. My son is currently taking "Grammar - From Structure to Style". This course focuses on the grammar piece which so many school seem not to be teaching anymore. They apply these grammar rules they are learning along the way, by writing essays so they get the benefit of grammar lessons and the essay writing practice. The instructor does give a lot of feedback along the way and is available by phone, email, etc. as much as you need their help.

T
    T
    I was just reading this post again after another mom in the class told me her son got an F on a language arts test, and written on it was "study more". That was it, that was all the advice. Meanwhile every week I get at least a page of detailed feedback from instructor at CTY. What a difference indeed.

Last edited by traceyqns; 10/13/10 09:45 AM.
    H
    H
    I would also recommend the CTY writing programs. My son did them several years ago and learned so much. He also made some friends in the class who he still keeps in contact with more than 4 years later. Just because the classroom is virtual doesn't mean that the student-to-teacher or student-to-student interactions are real and meaningful.

If you're kid likes to write and would like to see how they measure up against a higher standard, HEROES runs a Writing Talent Search (see www.HEROESgifted.org). This year qualified students may participate in the final round via Skype.

If you live in NJ, HEROES has worked with Rutgers University to create sections of Basic Composition (355:100) and Expository Writing (355:101 aka Comp 101) that will use the same curriculum and standards as all other sections of these courses but use reading selections and assignments that are developmentally appropriate for students under the age of 16. These are 3-credit courses. The first of these special sections will be offered in Spring 2011. Students will need to take the Writing Placement Test which will be offered in December and again during the HEROES Conference in January. Go to www.HEROESgifted.org for additional details.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM