Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Just curious, as our district seems to be focusing on his approach in terms of services.

I haven't read his stuff, just looked at the U.Conn. website, but it seems to me that it focuses on differentiated enrichment for all kids. My fear is that while I think this is exactly what schools should do (for all kids, to me it is just good teaching), it doesn't really qualify as G/T and it doesn't address the needs of HG/PG learners who need to accelerate.

Anyone know more, I am thinking about going to a seminar he is doing next month just to learn about it.

Thanks, Cat

W
    W
    I am starting to be more a fan of differentiated learning. Although DD6 scored in the 99.9th percentile for verbal, her verbal written and reading are not as advanced as her math abilities. While she can deal with an enriched and top of the cluster group in grade 1 for reading and comprehension, she really needs the accelerated math to "work" the intellectual muscles and keep her interested and challenged. She needs math to not only be accelerated but quick paced. She loves learning it, doing it, begs to do more math problems at bedtime when she learns a new skill.

So yes, she is ahead across the board, she ahead differently and needs those differences to be addressed.

Ren

OP Offline
    Oh Cricket, this is great! I'll def. read that interview and start doing more research - and I think I'll try to make that conference (I know one person from our district is going - maybe a well placed question would be just the right sort of thing wink ).

Since DS is subject accelerated, I can't complain - but I do think our district probably needs a set policy in place to address acceleration - it should be easier to at least see if it is the right outcome for a child. And I would like to see more openness to the concept of kids actually being gifted and having special needs.

Cat

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM