Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    YEP! My DH just bought one of the new ones. He has been reading non-stop and he's not a huge reader. Change that, didn't used to be smile

They are addicting! DH did the specs on them all and that's the one he opted to get me for Xmas (he's a techy). At the time only the sony one was out.

They really are awesome though. I even dropped mine on accident and the screen didn't work right and I called @mazon and they shipped me a new one and I got it in 2 days! It was only a few months old but still.... that was nice! I was honest and told the guy I dropped it. He asked if I dropped it below shoulder ht. and I said yes, from waist level and he sent me one at no charge! I was THRILLED!

The books DL's are so easy, you click to buy and it's there instantly. Can't get any easier. You can also get the first chapter of any book for free before you buy it to see if you like it. Can't beat that!

B
    B
    One other great thing, you can change the font sizes and there is no glare (it's crazy technology, not like looking at a backlit computer screen or cell phone. It's more like an etcha-sketch. THe letters just sort of appear.)

It also always goes right back to the place you left off in the book, which is great. One thing that took getting used to was it doesn't have page numbers because it depends on your font size and what not, but it does give you a percentage completed. It didn't take long to get used to but it used to annoy me. Now, I am fine with the % done.

Okay, enough raving about it, but it just goes to show you, they are really cool smile

I'm an iPad lover - awesome for books and a computer too! Only downside Is here, can't scroll in the text box, very annoying! But reading on it is awesome and the interactive book apps are fun too.

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 10/07/10 05:54 PM. Reason: To prove what I just wrote!!
    Okay, now I am intrigued - I'm going to start a new thread and see what people love about whatever they have. After all, the holidays are coming up!

T
    T
    Do you really think the teacher would properly assess your child and actually have to teach DD diff curriculum than the rest of the class and have to get some new books etc. If all the kids are assessed around the same level then her/his job is easier. Either that, or teacher too lazy to do proper assessments. And let me guess teacher will defend herself by saying her reading comprehension is not up to par LOL LOL

SOrry to hear this but you are not alone.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    I think we could start a club about disallowing reading. I have removed all the books from the house before. Recently, I have only done this in the car if dd won't stop reading long enough to get out of the car when we get home. I expect her to carry in her stuff and help with shopping bags. Giving her a minute to finish a page is one thing, but ignoring me is another. When its a problem, all the books go in the trunk for a few days. Nothing is worse than riding in the car with no book. I am SO strict!

Oh my gosh! Why didn't I think of that? Both of my kids are AWFUL in this regard: on a couple of occasions I've come home with one child, gone into the house, prepped dinner and walked out to the car with my other child, only to have child one leap out of the car in alarm and yell, "what!? I'm not going with you too!" not realizing that we've been home for a half hour! I mostly find it irritating in the winter when someone has to put on boots in order to go retrieve a child from the car for dinner mad

And yet...it sure is hard to stay angry when your kid is "misbehaving" by reading!

Originally Posted by DeHe
    I'm an iPad lover - awesome for books and a computer too! Only downside Is here, can't scroll in the text box, very annoying! But reading on it is awesome and the interactive book apps are fun too.

DeHe

I use the iPhone. Took me awhile to think of it, but if you select a word in the textbox and grab the corner of the highlight and pull down it acts like you're scrolling. And I love the preview function on this forum.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Do you really think the teacher would properly assess your child and actually have to teach DD diff curriculum than the rest of the class and have to get some new books etc. If all the kids are assessed around the same level then her/his job is easier.

I've narrowed down which assessment she probably used--it's most likely for Fountas & Pinnell leveled books, though it could be a DRA test. I have a feeling she must have been following this guideline I've found online for administering assessments:

For DRA:
    Do you suggest a ceiling and only test one grade level above?

A: In general, it is usually recommended that students not be assessed with texts that are more than one grade level above the students' current grade level. The reason for this is that DRA is designed to guide teacher instruction and students who are truly successful and independent one year above grade level are making it.

So happy to know my dd is "making it" and doesn't need instruction. confused

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM