Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by yannam
    my point is why to put a child 2-3 grades higher and push (push and push) him/her in to more challenging stuff.. when rest of the life all you do is what you have done previous day

just think about it and comment

Why do you assume that WE are pushing THEM? The pushing is getting the school to let the kid learn something besides how to coast. The pushing is the kid coming home crying from boredom because everything in class is stuff he learned when he was three, wanting something new to learn. I haven't seen anyone in these forums who is doing anything but being pulled by their children.

Leave the mindless tedium jobs for the kids who don't want to learn and do new things. Our kids will never settle for that.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by yannam
    my point is why to put a child 2-3 grades higher and push (push and push) him/her in to more challenging stuff..

...because mine isn't being pushed pushed pushed. It's the right level of work that is interesting and fun for him. I wouldn't want to be stuck for 6 hours a day reading the same book over and over and over, and being stuck doing busywork when you've already mastered all of the material can feel just like that.

I do sympathize if anyone truly feels like they lead a boring life as adults. The world is filled with exciting challenges if you seek them out. Even if you have to work in a monotonous job, find a hobby, study a language, or read a book! Nobody makes us take a robotic path, and that is why IMO we shouldn't make our children take one, either.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    Maybe it's what the kid wanted to do and what the parents thought was best as well. Maybe some kids like talking about things that older kids are learning about. Then where would they fit in better? In a classroom of students with common interests and talent, or in a classroom based on their Chinese Zodiac sign?
    There is the quiestion of what to do when they graduate but are still too young to work. Travel? Video games? Can't drive to the mall. Oh well, everyone's life is complicated. That's life.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    There is the quiestion of what to do when they graduate but are still too young to work. Travel? Video games? Can't drive to the mall. Oh well, everyone's life is complicated. That's life.

I think the case of a college or even HS graduate being too young to work would be very unusual. Even a 12 year old could make stuff and sell it on ebay. Or teach siblings. Or mow lawns. Or be a mother's helper. It might not be stimulating, but that brings me back to the point I tried to make earlier in the thread - there's a big difference between being forced to do work that is pointless and boring when you are supposed to be receiving a service, and doing something boring but valued by someone else.

Yeah Jane, I really liked that point you made about the school system being hired to be there to provide a service to us. I even clipped it and texted my husband at work yesterday.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    There is a saying, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results." I'd say for a gifted, self-motivated child, the defintion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, already knowing the results will never change.

I have dual careers, farming(raising cattle specifically) and software engineer with database design. Farming is the least boring because there is so much to learn about genetics. In computers, if you're good, you tend to get pigeon-holed into one job where you become the guru. Being a guru helps other people learn, but at a certain level of knowledge I have to branch out into another area or I'll go insane. So, I know several programming languages on multiple platforms, supporting multiple applications for multiple systems.
    In school, I was a genuine pain in the neck. I had to accept I would be doing the same thing everyone else did, but I added my own touch. That didn't go over well for many teachers!

I would have had to have been radically accelerated in school if I was placed accurately. Maybe that path would have led to me studying cattle genetics in a lab instead of in the field. Or maybe someday I'll combine my computer skills with the data available from our breed association and find what combination of genetics has the highest chance of producing certain characteristics.

The bottom line is you have to make the best decision you can for your own child. There are no guarantees how any decision will turn out. But the most important thing is for the child to know you truly love them.

C
    C
    ...One of many...My DS10, with tears streaming down his face, "My brain is a wilting flower" ... As a parent, how can you NOT do something?

When we told our DS that he might be able to skip first grade, he thought it was a great idea from the get-go. Now that he's in 2nd at age 6, he fits in perfectly, but is still a bit underchallenged. In fact, he occasionally tells us he thinks he'll skip 3rd grade too...

I don't want my DS6 to never to learn from failure --perseverance -- if he doesn't know immediately how to do something. Most other kids get the opportunity to learn that. We have not pushed our DS; we have tried to find the right fit for him so he can learn at his readiness level. We would love for our DS to learn alongside agemates who are at his intellectual level, but that will not happen unless we move, and may not happen even if we do move. So, for us, for now, acceleration is the best we can do for our DS.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    When we told our DS that he might be able to skip first grade, he thought it was a great idea from the get-go. Now that he's in 2nd at age 6, he fits in perfectly, but is still a bit underchallenged. In fact, he occasionally tells us he thinks he'll skip 3rd grade too...

LOL our boys are about the same age. Mine is skipped into 3rd at 7. He often says very flippantly "Well 2nd grade was harder but 3rd is super easy, let's check out 4th!" As if it were really that easy for us to get him into 2nd in the first place last year!

Originally Posted by CAMom
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl

LOL our boys are about the same age. Mine is skipped into 3rd at 7. He often says very flippantly "Well 2nd grade was harder but 3rd is super easy, let's check out 4th!" As if it were really that easy for us to get him into 2nd in the first place last year!

Funny! I think a smorgasbord approach to school would be awesome! Oh wait - they had this once, back in the day of the one-room school house.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM