Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Thanks for the note about camp invention. I went to their website and discovered GS's school has one.

As for the amount of homework, GS has never had more than 5 minutes of homework but I've heard other parents at the school complain about hours of homework. The most GS has ever brought home is 1, double-sided sheet of either reading & answer the questions; or the same amount of math. I guess some people would consider his reading as homework. He takes AR tests at school on what he reads, but reading is such a pleasure to him that he's never considered it homework.

J
    J
    Mom, you are exactly right. I had never heard of it until I got this random postcard in the mail last year and inquired, but I am sure that the teachers running the program could make or break it. Therefore, I would want to ask some questions before signing up.
    I just got very lucky with the team we put together. The staff is paid, but not nearly what they would make in a summer school position, so the teachers have to WANT to be there or they just need money and can't find anything else. I just happened to get the teacher that I first approached and our superintendent made a recommendation when he gave me the go ahead. I had worked with him in my GT days, but hadn't been in the same building for years so I was hesitant. Supt. recommends though, so I at least offered.
    This teacher just turned 75, but the curriculum had him as excited as the kids. It was amazing. He told me this year that he wasn't returning because he is celebrating his 50th anniversary that week. By the time I returned home the message on my answering machine was that he hoped I would still let him work. His wife said that she knew he loved this last year and they would travel later. THAT IS AN ENDORSEMENT in my opinion.
    I had one teacher volunteer the first day and she came back everyday. She told our school board she would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, if you don't find one near you and you know a teacher or director of a center with enthusiasm and a desire to seek new and neat things send them to the site. There is a section for bringing it to your school. Cool thing is......the school pays nothing except providing the space. Everyone is on contract with Camp Invention and ALL supplies are furnished. They even sent the trash bags!!!

J
    J
    OHGrandma,
    I am so glad you did!!! I am honestly not getting paid to endorse Camp Invention, but I was just absolutely sold on it!!!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM