Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    For me it comes down to a choice. You can seek out and dwell on negative stories and define your son's life by pain, pity, and fear. Or, you can decide to approach life with a strong sense of appreciation for many gifts he has and with an openness to allowing him to develop a positive sense of self which includes both an appreciation for his own capabilities and trust in the kindness of other people.

The more you put out this negativity the fewer kind and supportive people you will draw into your lives and the more isolated and unhappy you will feel. To me it makes sense to balance risks. There is a 100% guaranteed negative outcome of making your child fear other people and feel like he has to hide who he is and what he needs and that he can't have age appropriate independence but instead needs his mom by his side at all times hovering and monitoring. That is the road to depression and anxiety - which often play out in the form of physical pain, headaches, and sleep disturbances.

Yes, if you encourage more independence sometimes it may not be perfect. Perhaps there will be an insensitive remark or perhaps someone won't understand. It is not the most likely outcome, but a possible one. That is something ALL parents need to face as their children are on the road to independence. At the same time allows him to develop in an age appropriate way and be confident enough to become an independent person. It allows him to develop resilience and the ability to advocate for himself. For me it makes no sense to choose a guaranteed negative outcome over a path that offers huge positives with small possible negatives.

"My son and I have talked about it and right now he would rather have people think he has a helicopter mom until he gets used to the pain. I have not seen anyone else on any message board with a smart sensitive kid who has to learn while dealing with daily pain."

What you may be overlooking is that his pain may be intimately tied anxiety and that helicoptering is feeding that. The mind-body connection is a powerful one. I would suggest looking at the long term goal and working backward. If you want him to be independent on a college campus at age 18 how do you see that happening. Let's say his pain can't be resolved, is he to just let go of college or will you come with him?

As far as people on the board with smart sensitive kids with disabilities, you may be surprised. There are many kids with medical problems, including hypotonia, who are MUCH more affected than you are describing but they go on with their lives happily. We've pursued all sorts of approaches here (occupational and physical therapy, setting small manageable goals and working toward them, supplements, work with a psychologist, biofeedback, relaxation exercises, orthodics and shoes, conventional medical treatments, lifestyle choices like limiting screen time and having calming routines, daily strengthening exercises, building a supportive network of friends, and connecting with the disabilities community where we are forever reminded that our lives are a walk in the park). Yes, it all takes effort and work. It isn't always easy. But, that's life. You do it because the alternative is far worse.

Sorry to butt-in with something a little different, but have you seen this magazine? It's written by kids for kids. It's listed on hoagies and Prufrock press. I thought about it when you mentioned how creatively your ds writes when he's allowed to type it out. http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=864. It'd be pretty awesome if he got his homework published at only age 12. Maybe he's the next Dean Kontz.

Good luck with the local Community College. I can see why that would be a very reasonable plan in your circumstances. More appropriate accommodations (electronically?), more appropriate subject level, less likelihood of being teased.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM