Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    I felt it sinking in last ...but I soon realized, I'm going to "kill him with kindness" and not yell. By the time I got DD4 out of the shower, I was praising DS6 for reading quietly, etc... WHEW. This may just work!

Hugs JJsMom! I'm so glad you are being the parent you want to be! Yippee!!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by blob
    I've taken up knitting to purl away my stress. SO in my case, tempers rising? Look for my knitting bag while he does his mini timeout. It's a good break for both of us. I'm sure the minutes will add up somehow!
    go Blob! I love knitting and how it relaxes me. I just finished a tank top for my BFF, and a pair of anklet socks for me. The minutes will add up - and if they don't- that's good too!!!

Smiles,
    Grinity

I downloaded a free kitchen timer for the iPhone so I don't have to watch the clock for timeout. �I was joking with the hubby, "Need a remote control �for the little ones? �There's an app for that."
    Anyway I told him with this program eventually supposedly you can just give him "the look" and turn away and he'll do his time-out.reset right where he sits and turn things around in a better direction- after we stay consistent and it becomes second nature. �He said he'll just need to hear the clicking of the timer, watch. �Well we were in the restaurant and he was starting to get wild and I said, "you need a time-out". I put a crayon on the table, sat him down and said, "look at the crayon, do your time out." �He wanted to line up all 4 crayons first. �The hubby clicked on his timer after the boy set only his 3rd crayon in place; he plopped straight on his butt and put his hands in his lap and quietly looked at his crayon for time-out (it's a flower mandala at home). �Boys and their toys. �I just downloaded the hubby's timer for him today.

I have a small dilemma. �The boy tells me at random he needs to go to time-out. �I've been asking him, For what? He's been telling me which rule he broke that I didn't see. �I don't know if I should keep asking him, for what? �Or just be happy he's self-correcting. �I appreciate the honesty. I just don't know if I should ask why. �

Oh, I'd like to add that the restaurants have really shown me the beauty of this program. �There's no more getting up and leaving the table to take him outside so he doesn't bother anybody, or begging him to be patient so we can all eat. �He doesn't mind the time-outs, they're done right there without leaving the table. �And it really does settle him down. �It works better than anything I've ever seen in the store and other public places because it's so quick and effective. �You can just finish doing whatever you have to do. �Thanks for suggesting this and for being so right about it Grinity.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    �He doesn't mind the time-outs, they're done right there without leaving the table. �And it really does settle him down. �
    La T,

Wow! That sounds so awesome! You must be so proud of your son! I'm so proud of you!

How long are are you setting that timer for?

Here's my advice for your dilemma, and a bit of 'picking on you' thrown it with lots of love. Personally, I really value folks who can steer me clear of the rocks, so I hope you aren't offended.

The reason he 'puts himself in timeout' is that he recognizes that he feels better after the settle down.

I would discourage you from asking him 'what he did' - it just feed energy to the negativity, and you are all about feeding energy to the positivity, right?

I would encourage you to energize his thoughtfulness of communication for letting you know where he'll be. (I used to get very worried when all noise from my DS ceased - in our house that meant trouble!) I would also encourage you to make a super big deal when he leaves time out about how wise he is to be able to notice that he needed a time out, and how strong he is for translating that into action, and how well he did at using the time out.

I would even question the words 'you need a time-out.' What kind of tone goes with that?

The 'you' makes it so personal. Think of a sports ref on the basketball court - they blow a whistle and point, 'nothing personal kid, you're foots on the line.' Think monotone. Think mutter. Think body language. Yup?

When your son 'got wild' he probably broke a rule (and you are allowed to make up rules on the spot, something about 'no commotions in public places.' Then you can say, 'bummer, broke a rule, time out, use this' and leave your son to figure out what the rule was at a later moment. You can help out before or after the fact by super praising correct restaurant behavior. It's even ok to make a silly game of all the things not to do in restaurants in the car on the way there. That's what DS and I used to do on the way to library and playdates.

Me:'Throw rocks at friends at the playground?'
    DS(age 2) 'Oh no!'
    Me: 'what happens when rocks are thrown?'
    DS: Go home fast!

In fact, if you are brave, you can leave out the 'bummer broke a rule' and just announce 'timeout time' out of the blue. That seems so abrupt and shocking, doesn't it? But then you are teaching HIM to monitor his own behavior and make the association between 'getting wild' and 'time out time'

NHA considers all warnings and delays as paying attention to negativity. Even that he wanted to line up the crayons and you were willing. You might practice having him close his eyes and imagining the flower. Also the warnings make Time out into something negative, which it totally isn't. Time outs are a celebration of many things:
    1) That you have rules.
    2) That your son has the free will to break the rules
    3) That you have the wisdom to signal that a rule is broken without feeding the negative energy.
    4) That he has the ability to get back on track without a 'federal case' being made over the whole thing.

One key is to mention, perhaps today when things are going well, "I had this idea that we could practice surprise time outs today. Today we'll do 6 time outs together even when no rule is broken, just so we can practice them and show how strong we are." Then, during the day when things are going really well (not when he is at the edge of wild) call, "Practice Time Out" and do one - 6 times! You'll be on the spot to super-praise how well he does, and I know you can do it!

Another day when things are going well, you can do 'Practice time outs' as if you were in a Restaurant. (Maybe teach him to use a variety of coins - they are always available -?)

Giant Hugs to you La T - What a dramatic example you are of success!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Oh, close your eyes. Maybe that will work. We've recently reached the silliness stage where he wants to kick his feet or hum or somehow distract and entertain himself instead of reset. Maybe I'll lower the time from 60 to 30 seconds as well. I just selected the bigger end of the time frame to prepare him for karate and then pre-k, so when they send him to time-out he doesn't look undisciplined. We really have had a lot of success most of the time so far. I'll just consider this like learning a new skill. Just take practice and patience. What's next? The workbook or the inner wealth thing? What's the inner wealth thing like anyway?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    The Nurtured Heart Approach is causing a new level of calm to fall over our household. It takes some doing, but the wife and I are finally getting on the same page, and it's working.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    The Nurtured Heart Approach is causing a new level of calm to fall over our household. It takes some doing, but the wife and I are finally getting on the same page, and it's working.

Yippee Iucounu!!! Way to work together! Awesome to find a style that works for you and DW!!!! Go Calm in the Gifted Home!!!

Yippee!!

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Maybe I'll lower the time from 60 to 30 seconds as well. I just selected the bigger end of the time frame to prepare him for karate and then pre-k, so when they send him to time-out he doesn't look undisciplined. We really have had a lot of success most of the time so far. I'll just consider this like learning a new skill. Just take practice and patience. What's next? The workbook or the inner wealth thing? What's the inner wealth thing like anyway?

Go La Tex! Practice and patience! I love the workbook, but I haven't read the book for school (Inner Wealth Initiative) so it might be wonderful too.

Time outs can be 60 seconds at home where you have peace and calm (are you expecting?) and as fast as '3 deep breaths' when you are out in public. Just practice those resets when things are going well. Since they aren't pejorative (my word for the day) it's fine for you to use them and fine to practice them when all is well. How long does it take to refresh a computer screen?

I love your idea of using 60 seconds to prep for Karate - not sure if timeouts are still used in preschool - around here they were big into 'redirection.' Maybe a little visit to some local preschools and ask them to show you how they do it?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Yes I'm expecting. Due Sept. 16 but it's a natural waterbirth so they don't induce you if you're late. I'm not doing the flylady 15 minutes thing on purpose, I'm just so huge I can't move for longer than that.
    We need to refine our nurtured heart. I could see that it was working. It just stalled out on the silliness factor. I'm too fatigued to stay on top of it right now. But I did see the program's results so we'll keep working on it.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow la tex! Best Wishes! Soon, Soon!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM