Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    TwoMoose- this is where I fundamentally have struggles with curriculum in the 21st century! Why on earth would you spend time learning capitals of countries? It's easy to look it up on the internet or on a map. Being familiar with the landscape and the locations is one thing, but I see too many teachers spend a month on memorizing mapping. Booooring and totally not practical!

If teachers weren't afraid to work on higher level taxonomy questions for all the students, we'd be better preparing them for problem solving jobs of the future. Even the SATs don't care if you know the capital of Hungary.

Better example- I was observing a teacher last week. She was leading 7th graders in an interesting compare and contrast of the fall of Rome to current US politics. The students were able to draw similarities and differences between what lead to the fall of Rome and the current political climate in the US, make assumptions and conclusions. No homework required, actually no homework even allowed because it would have been unduly influenced by outside opinion.

Or she could have had them just memorize the 5 major factors leading to the fall of Rome...

I think we're saying essentially the same thing. I am trying to contrast superficial learning, that could take just a few hours in a school year, to in-depth exploration of a subject. That's why some out-of-class work is required in my kids' middle school. BTW, state and national capitals show up on the geography bee (required for all students at our middle school) and the AP Human Geography course from what I've seen.

There is evidence that some homework is generally beneficial in 7-12th graders. http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2006/03/homework.html

Anecdotally, my kids have better time-management skills and better study habits than I did - because they have to structure their time carefully.

K
    K
    Boy is this a timely discussion for me. Normally, DD10 has about an hour of homework per night. Last night DD10 had soccer practice and her teacher decided to make it a massive homework night. They didn't get something done in class so the teacher sent it home on top of all their regular work. We get out of school at 4. Soccer practice with travel time takes about 2 hours. She also needs time to eat. We usually can fit in an hour of homework since she's pretty organized. DD usually goes to bed at about 8:30. Needless to say, yesterday by 9 she had come no where close to getting her work done. She was sobbing at this point and I told her that she needed to stop and get some sleep. She had a tough time calming down and going to sleep because she was stressed out that she wouldn't get it all done. She woke up early to try to get things finished before school. She completed the writing assignment, her required reading and spent 45-60 minutes on math. I finally told her that I would write the teacher a note explaining that DD had put in over 2 hours on homework and that I was cutting her off.

I don't always like but can deal with our normal hour of homework. What I find difficult is the unpredictability of the workload. We never know when one of these extra homework nights is coming. Is my 10 year old really getting any educational benefit from staying up late and stressing out because the teacher didn't meet her own goal for getting stuff done in class? I want my 10 year old to have the opportunity to play sports and do other things. I don't think that she has an unreasonable schedule -- she only has practice twice a week. Now, I'm reconsidering whether to let her add private music lessons because her homework load may be too great. Grr!

Could you request advanced notice of the homework for the week? My kids' school has everything on-line, with syllabi for at least 1 week - sometimes 2 weeks - in advance. It helps alleviate those late-evening homework crises.

Sorry your DD had this happen.

Also, could you do the music lessons on Saturday????

R
    R
    deeDee

Sorry for the choice of words - for "delivered" read "taught" - like in:
    "the teacher couldn't get the kids to understand some of the lesson so they brought the work home so they could have a go there then be taught it by their parents." smile

Twomoose - the idea of a curriculum is that boys and girls are taught appropriate stuff in a fixed time frame so they can be examined. Sure, knowledge is infinite, and yes junior could come home from school and spend 3 or 4, or 5, or 6 hours looking at his encyclopedias (or wikipedia) to bone up on Quantum Mechanics but really there has to be a limit.
    In the old days there used to be, ah, somewhere where one could study a subject in depth for 2- 3 years, usually at age 18 after being schooled in the basics. Now what was it called - ah yes, it's coming to me - University. They used to hand out Bachelor Degrees to successful students I believe smile

CAMom - you have it in one (yet again - you're quite a star). Teachers should teach the kids to question, and analyse, and reason and then question again..... That's difficult (more difficult than reciting the capitals of the world for the umpteenth time)

Last edited by Raddy; 09/16/10 03:41 AM.
    I
    I
    This is loosely related but I thought it was pretty interesting. smile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...g-the-new-buzz-word-sweeping-the-US.html
    Lectures at night, �homework� during the day. Call it the Fisch Flip.

�When you do a standard lecture in class, and then the students go home to do the problems, some of them are lost. They spend a whole lot of time being frustrated and, even worse, doing it wrong,� Fisch told me.

�The idea behind the videos was to flip it. The students can watch it outside of class, pause it, replay it, view it several times, even mute me if they want,� says Fisch, who emphasises that he didn�t come up with the idea, nor is he the only teacher in the country giving it a try. �That allows us to work on what we used to do as homework when I�m they�re to help students and they�re there to help each other.�

When he puts it like that, you want to slap your forehead at the idea�s inexorable logic. You wonder why more schools aren�t doing it this way. That�s the power of flipping. It melts calcified thinking and leads to solutions that are simple to envision and to implement.

R
    R
    Now why didn't I think of that!
    In the olden days (in my youth) this was done from a textbook and was known, affectionately, as 'prep'.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM