Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Sorry if this is going off topic of what the thread was about, but I only read the original post.
    My daughter (DD14) in 9th grade varies from no homework (though this is rare now), to 3 or 4 hours. I don't have any problem with it. She's going from waking up at 6:00 to get to school by 7:00, and then get home more around 5:00. Since she needs to wake up early, that gives her about until 10:00 to do homework (she does like getting a solid 8 hours, though last year she would stay up until 12:00 a lot of nights, so this is an improvement). That means that she has homework until 8:00 or 9:00 a lot of nights. This gives her, an hour of free time on those nights. I actually think this amount of homework is great, because she has become more responsible and she likes to be busy. I also think this prepares them for in college when the course load might be greater.
    Of course, some parents might disagree. Maybe it is too much homework, I don't really know. I just generally think it's good to have a good amount of stuff to be busy with.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    @EastNWest- thank you so much for the compliment! I have considered author, have started several times, lost my way and put it down. I feel like my situation offers a vantage point that few parents or teachers actually get to see. It is certainly interesting!

Writing a book is a daunting task. Start with a blog where you can write at leisure about subjects as they affect your day or week. Not only will you be able to reach out to others, but it will help build a platform of followers if you ever do decide to write the book. In today's publishing environment, having a platform through a blog or guest speaking or appearances in media are almost requisite for nonfiction books where one is writing as the expert. (Sorry to deviate off topic, but thought I'd offer the advice in case you were in earnest about the idea.)

O
    O
    I don't like much homework. My kids are in 2nd and 4th. I like the 10 mins per grade rule and then stop at 2 hrs. Max. I think kids miss out if they don't have time for music, sports, helping out around the house, family time and being with freinds.

DS7 is in 7th and we have a rule, 2 hours max. I told his teachers that because of his age I wouldn't ask for anything more than that and they agreed. If his homework doesn't get done, they all know that it wasn't because he didn't try and they accept that. He just can't write as fast as your average 7th grader so it takes him longer to get it done.

The rule at the school is that middle school gets 2 hours, high school gets 3, but in all fairness most of the high school kids are dual enrolled at the college so their homework isn't really determined by the school.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    @Grinity- I love the idea of a worksheet/rubric. That would really cut down on the useless complaining without a solution. It might also bring out something I've missed, allowing for a new discussion about placement.

The chances are small, but at least everyone can be somewhat satisfied that nothing was overlooked. I have to tell people medium-bad news everyday, and I feel better when I can say: 'I take comfort in that you've done all you could.'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    As our student population drifts away from intensely arts focused students and into a broader range, it has brought up some questions. If our mission is arts academy, do we lose some focus by broadening our academic offerings? Yes. But is that loss of focus worth it? I'm not sure yet. It means that my admin hat is very very different than my parent hat, if nothing else!

these are tough questions. I wish I had the magic formula for creating consensus. I had a lot of friends who were in Art programs growing up, and they all 'felt dumb' when it came to Academics. Very different than the kids in band. It broke my heart. Seems like you are dealing with a different community. I wonder, at least in some subjects, if the arts can be used inside traditional academic classrooms to enrich the experience.

When I visited my son's new school, we sat in on a class where the kids were presenting Powerpoints about 'The history of Broadway, by Decade, and how each Decade of Broadway History was influence by the current events of the time.'

Picasso's Painting Guernicacomes to mind as a way to study History and Politics. And Mary Cassatt jump up as a way to study gender politics.

Still that hasn't addressed the needs of the hyper-visual kids, who like drawing, on any deep level.

I wish I had more ideas in this area.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Raddy
    Grinity

I have a shed load of parental anxiety (see my other posts).
    I think the shed load must be shed (or at least in the process of being shed) to make really good decisions.

What has worked in the past?

I like journaling, posting, venting to a trusted friend, and a particular kind of meditation that is 'downward' instead of 'Transcendence' oriented:

http://www.iam-u.org/index.php/how-to-learn-meditation

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

R
    R
    BWBShari
    2 hours a night. How old is 7th grade - 11? 12?
    I know the kids are expected top do it - i just wonder why. i look at the KS3 and KS4 texts here in the UK and I honestly can't see how this curriculum can't be delivered during a normal school working week.

I recall somebody saying that the whole KS2 (Grade 6/ages 11) curriculum in maths could be successfully delivered in 50 hours - 75 hours max allowing for slower pupils. English, Maths & Science KS2 translates into 4 years at school here in the UK. I know other stuff goes on, but even allowing for 3 hours per day academic . Do the math (15 hours per week, x 30 weeks a year x 4 years = 1800 hours). Then add some homework. I'm surprised myself!

I guess I'm either naive or stupid or missing something or maybe all three? dunno?

Last edited by Raddy; 09/15/10 04:09 AM.
    D
    D
    Raddy, saying the curriculum can be "delivered" assumes that the kids are like buckets to be filled; they hear it once, it's been delivered to them, they understand and can use it. But they aren't buckets.

Some (rare) kids are like that for some subjects, but the vast majority are not; most need to have a lot of rote practice, see variations on the concepts, and extend and apply the concepts themselves before they "get" it and it's theirs to keep. Retention rate on lecturing alone: ca. 10%. Retention rate on active learning tasks: closer to 75%.

OTOH, two plus hours of homework load isn't reasonable; it leaves pretty much no time for other learning I think is just as important. Learn to wash a car, iron a shirt, use a bank card, play a musical instrument, the rest of life that isn't academic but is important.

DeeDee

DeeDee - I agree.
    With the incredible wealth of subjects available to students - thanks to the internet - it is easy for me to see why a 1-hour class 5 days/week isn't enough to cover everything necessary for a rigorous curriculum. For example, consider a middle school social studies World Geography course. The class could simply learn about physical features of the landscape in different countries, the capitals, lakes, mountains, etc. But what if the curriculum went in-depth into political systems, culture, history, economic development.... The possibilities are practically endless. This is why I don't argue about the several hours of homework/day my middle-schooler has. There is no way to fit all of this into a regular school day. Maybe the school year should be lengthened, although that would encroach on the talent search summer programs my kids enjoy, too.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM