Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Wow ... this is me! It always freaks my DH out that he can work with someone for over a year and when I meet them, I will have uncovered things about them he never knew in just a matter of 10 minutes.

I get this reaction from others as well. What strikes me as 'oddest' is when I listen to people and then reflect back to them what they have just said, and they stare at me as if I have magic powers - "How did you know my deepest darkest feelings? Yes, that's exactly the way I feel?"

And I think (but don't say) - well, you just told me 5 minutes ago...

Apparently most people can't decide to receive what another person says if it differs from what they believe. And most people don't keep track of what they've said. (I'm sure I don't!) I think my giftedness comes into play where I can put together what I hear with what I already know about the world and ask perceptive questions.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Reviving this thread - which I read with interest a while ago but didn't contribute to - because I am running into some problems in my social circle. I am intense and I don't mean to be. Heck, I even am when I'm trying very hard not to be. It keeps getting me in trouble. I'm coping a lot of passive-aggressive stuff from a few people and I don't live in a place big enough to offend people in the home school circles!

Anyway, I'm not really sure if it's the intensity, or if I'm just rude somehow. I suspect the intensity because I really have tried!

I am not sure how to tone it down any more, and also not sure if I really should. I'm not talking about being rude, I just mean that I am reaching my mid-30's and I'm getting tired of pretending to be something I'm not. Why should I pretend I don't care about things that I do? Why should I pretend not to know anything about something when I do?

Wasn't this supposed to get easier when I left school? smile

How do you cope with the social impacts of intensity?

I
    I
    I wasn't on this forum back when this thread was active, but count me as another intense introvert. D is the same. I think we are a lot like our kids -- we need social outlets and forums with other gifties as much as they do so we can be ourselves!! Has anyone here tried Mensa? Is intensity noticable and/or welcomed there?

I also wanted to add that I worry about the example I set by pretending, to my children. What does it say about their intensity if I am always 'hiding' mine?

And this:

Originally Posted by MsFriz
    I'm another intense introvert. My biggest problem is fitting in at work. I always seem to care too much. I take deadlines and ethical issues seriously. I worry about looming problems, logistical details and budget shortfalls that don't seem to be on anyone else's radar. I'd rather look for solutions to problems than sweep them under the rug. It's important to me that I do quality work. You'd think those would be good qualities in an employee, but my boss thinks I'm a total drag. I think I've come to represent all the things she doesn't want to think about or deal with. She's happiest when I'm simply warming my chair and doing just enough to get by. In order to fit in, I have to keep reminding myself that most people, my boss and coworkers included, are most comfortable with mediocrity. Aiming for anything more than that seems to threaten them and put them on the defensive. Sometimes, just to get through the day when I'm stressed out over something that no one else seems to care about, I actually repeat the words "I don't care," until I finally start to believe it. It's isolating to say the least.

I so get this. (Just my job atm is home educating my children.) (And yes, I do have other outlets.) I have the same problem there. Going to class is painful when the other students just want to know what they need to pass the test, and I am actually interested in the field.

Okay, I've vented enough now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent