Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    This year I just dove in, I just sent DS8�s new teacher an e-mail, about what we did last year, and what we are hoping for this year. Last years teacher was not updated by principal, and had no test records. This year I assume communication will be the same, so I sent a nice non aggressive e-mail (I hope) to his new teacher. They start school next week. Fingers are crossed.

A
    A
    My older son (now a senior in high school) was bored to death in Kindergarten - to the point he was tying his classmates' shoelaces together during circle time, and it was the teacher who asked if she could have him screened. He scored as gifted, but we ended up pulling him out of public school and placing him in private school throughout elementary school.

When we moved him back to public school for mid-school, we chose not to tell the teachers either. He was not challenged and went from a happy, productive student to a mis-behaving, defiant adolescent. The teachers and school counselor decided he was a ne'er do well, and I had to take on the administration and pull out all the stops at that point to get him placed in gifted classes. Once there, his behavior and grades improved dramatically.

So from my own experience, my thought is that you're right not to go in there right away and risking coming off as the pushing mom who is convinced their child is the bestest ever. smile But I'd keep close watch on the pulse of what is going on in the classroom. If you see signs of boredom, it would be a good time if it were me to begin having some conversations about your own insights into your son's abilities.

Good luck with the new year!

K
    K
    I'm a bit late to this conversation. I agree with everyone about giving the teacher some time to get to know you and your kid. We found that the teachers picked up on our child's literacy level quickly but the same was not true for math.

The teacher never knew that my DD could do more in math because she never asked for more. DD is a quiet, teacher-pleaser type. She got perfect scores in math all the time and didn't make trouble. In first grade my DD started complaining at home that math was boring and stupid. I approached her teacher who dismissed our concerns and said that our DD was happy in class. We decided to have DD tested through our school district. When we showed the teacher DD's perfect math CoGat scores, she finally admitted that she had no idea how to differentiate in math. She said that she really saw her role as teaching literacy. To the teacher's credit, the teacher did make an effort to tap into other resources and learn how to differentiate for my kid.

This year I haven't said much to DS5's teacher. She knows that my other kids are in the gifted program. She already seems to be figuring out DS5 on her own. She told me that she gave DS a K-1 math screener to help her figure out what to do with him since he seemed beyond normal kindy math. (Yay!)

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by knute974
    This year I haven't said much to DS5's teacher. She knows that my other kids are in the gifted program. She already seems to be figuring out DS5 on her own. She told me that she gave DS a K-1 math screener to help her figure out what to do with him since he seemed beyond normal kindy math. (Yay!)

That sounds great!

now I think I need to get ready for the conversation with the teacher.

M
    M
    those who really liked him and were dazzled by his abilities, and those who really loathed him and thought he was too outspoken. Bizarre but true

This is my son to a tee. And you completely described our dilemna.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM