Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 298 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8416 02/07/08 12:53 PM
    M
    momof3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My son did not pass the screener in school, it was the KBIT. He is in first grade. He scored below 100 on the matrices part of the test. This is where I thought he would excel.

I had him tested outside the school and as it turns out he actually reached the ceilings in at least 3 of the fluid intelligence areas of the test. This, averaged in with his other scores, put him just two points below the usual gifted threshold for our school district.

His fluid intelligence scores, though, are in the 99th percentile.

I'm looking for any advice,... the gifted program in our school district would be right up his alley. It spends most of it's time with science and experiments. This is what really excites him and motivates him and they do very little of this within his normal first grade class.

They are still processing and evaluating him for the program with the outside's psychologist's recommendation for a gifted program.

Thanks for all and any help

Ellen

momof3 #8422 02/07/08 02:08 PM
    Hi Ellen,

First of all, my humble opinion is don't give up on the school yet. You mentioned they are still evaluating him for the gifted program. You have an outside psychologist's recommendation.
    Does his teacher seem to think he would benefit from the program?
    If so, that teacher recommendation could go a long way.
    Keep working with the school and keep a friendly line of communication open.
    I know this is an anxiety provoking situation, however, try not to worry what will happen if he doesn't get into the gifted program. See what happens with the school first.
    If you charge right in with swords drawn, they will circle the wagons on you so fast, you'll never have a chance.
    You never know, you might be surprised, they may admit him on the psy's rec.

Keep us posted,

Incog

momof3 #8425 02/07/08 02:18 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by momof3
    My son did not pass the screener in school, it was the KBIT. He is in first grade. He scored below 100 on the matrices part of the test. This is where I thought he would excel.

Ellen

FWIW, neither one of my girls did well on the matrices test they were given as a screener, but they're both very verbal. We're still working on getting them identified. Hopefully, they will accept the outside testing, which is no doubt more comprehensive.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs