Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Yes, I have been kind of torturing myself about the options for school all summer as well.

We have decided to leave him in his Montessori school, where he has been since he was 3.5 years old. The program works in three year blocks (3-6 years, 6-9 years and 9-12 years). He completed grade 4 last year (the first year of the 9-12 block) and it did not go well. Part of it might have been the change to a new teacher. The curriculum is more structured in 9-12 and there is more "required work". I think DS spent a large amount of time in his 6-9 class reading novels in the corner and this isn't allowed in the 9-12 class (maybe for the best). I also think his difficulties in math and organization are catching up to him. His current teacher places a large emphasis on organization and rule following (not his stong points). She is a very dedicated, professional teacher, though, and I am hoping that we can work together to make this year better. I do get the feeling that she doesn't really appreciate what makes DS special the way his previous teachers did.

The downside of Montessori for someone like DS is the lack of structure and routine. I'm hoping to get an agreement from his teacher that she will help him use his agenda daily as a "road map" so he knows exactly what he needs to do when. I am also planning a once a week tutor to make sure he is learning what he needs to know in grade 5. He is pretty good at avoiding work that he doesn't want to do.

Our only other option is regular public school. Our neighbourhood school is a bit rough and *not* a good choice for DS. We thought of other public schools, but location is also a problem. There are no gifted or gifted/LD classes in our school system.

His first language is French, and will continue school in French until at least the end of highschool.

Suggestions welcome!

I
    I
    Hmm, it sounds like you don't have a lot of good school options. For us, we have driven our daughter across town (about a 30 minute each way drive) for all her schooling years to a private school that better fits her needs. And paid the private school fees frown I think many parents will tell you that it is worth adding some daily hassle to your routine (and some expense, if you can squeeze it out of your budget) to transport your child to the right school situation. I don't know if you have any choices like that, though.

Last edited by intparent; 09/04/10 06:47 AM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I love the way my husband explained to my son that he had a learning disability.

"Not everyone learns the same way, and not everyone's brain is wired the same way. And for us (he's pretty sure he had the same issues as a child), different parts of our brain are used to do tasks than in other people's brains. And the cool part is that it means that our brains are also wired to do some really cool stuff, too. But the bummer part is that some things that are easy for some other people is harder for us, so we just have to work harder on those things to figure out how our brain will do that job."

I love this! Kudos to your husband.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM