Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    kmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I need help,... my daughter is statused as Gifted and she has been attending her gifted pull out program.

She has been having a hard time at school and they removed her from the program altogether and she is not getting serviced AT ALL anymore.

Her IQ is very high and she is having problems understanding why she needs to do the work in school when she already knows how to do it,... I am working on this with her but I need some suggestions as to how to approach the school to at least have her serviced.

PLEASE HELP!!!

P
    P
    Oh, no! What about a grade skip? It sounds like she might be a good candidate for that and that it might be better for her in the long run. Would the school be receptive to such a discussion? It's worth a try.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Do they have the authority to remove her from the program without "due process" (meeting with you/her, intervention, etc.)? In my state, gifted is under Special Education, so parents and students have rights.

How old or what grade is your daughter? Is she old enough for above level testing (SCAT, EXPLORE, etc.) to help argue your points?

Consider pink's idea of skipping, even this late in the year, it might be a good fit.

Agree with all of the above. I've been finding that teachers/administrators respond better to out of grade level achievement tests. An IQ tests demonstrated the child's ability to learn at an advanced pace. An achievement spells out what they already know. And that's pretty much what most teachers understand.
    DD7 took the WIAT, I think she's still on the young side for SCAT and EXPLORE, so like cym said, it's all about age.
    Give us some more details and we'll try to help you out.
    I think it's pretty safe to say, most of us have had kids that
    have experienced the frustration of being unchallenged from time to time. Different people have had success different ways.
    Is she acting out? You mentioned she is having some problems.

Incog

She has been having a hard time at school

Can you shed some more light onto this, since it seems to be the sole reason for the removal?

Kmom,
    Do Not try to convinse your daughter that she must do busy work for the sake of making other people happy - I've been down that road, and it didn't go well.

Take the position that the school must find a way to make things right for her, or find a school that will. Life is too short.

Say more about what you've done so far - and tell us about her. Do you have IQ/achievement scores?

Go into the school and cry about how unhappy she is - schools care about emotions!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I would try to gather more information and be in close contact with the school. I have a DD that becomes very "chatty" when school is easy and her behavior is under control when she is challenged. If your child has a high IQ, the program may be easy work for her. Dropping all services is the worst option IMHO and the school needs to explain why and what can be done about it.

She may be bored and a grade skip or subject acceleration would be a no-cost option for the school. I'm sure that if you provide more details on your DD, you will get terrific advice from the experienced parents here, as have I.

Jen

"Go into the school and cry about how unhappy she is - schools care about emotions!"- Grinity

Yes, this is true and they should. I haven't found it yet, but I've been told by two people that NCLB actually has language that protects the emotional welfare of students, hey that applies to ALL students that are suffering, even if they are only DYING of BOREDOM.

Incog

Originally Posted by incogneato
    I've been told by two people that NCLB actually has language that protects the emotional welfare of students, hey that applies to ALL students that are suffering, even if they are only DYING of BOREDOM.

LOL, 'Neato! laugh

Kriston
    K
    kmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    A grade skip would not be good for her because she definately would not be emotionally ready,... she's already one of the youngest in her 1st grade class. It is a good suggestion though and I thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM