Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8225 02/04/08 10:34 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I know that people recommend Ruf's book (am reading now) but no one makes a comment about Marica Gross' book Exceptionally Gifted Children. I have ordered from the library and waiting. Has anyone read it? The author seems to be referenced on Hoagies' website.

Wren #8231 02/04/08 11:36 AM
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Marica Gross' book Exceptionally Gifted Children. I have ordered from the library and waiting.

From the perspective of a "Mildly PG" kid's Mom:

Of course it's a good book, but Gross is still in the "SB-LM" camp, which I protest. ((See her chapter in High IQ Kids, also very good)) I have a hard time getting past the '150-200' level scores and trying to match up my child to those children. I feel much more comfortable with the "these children are above what tests can measure," but there are many parents who have found SB-LM useful. I've even heard that it impressed a school once. Still I believe that when doing advocacy with schools, continued use of SB-LM does more harm than good by making the kids with 140 on the new IQ tests look "not that unusual." I wish this wasn't the case, but I believe it is.

I particularly like Gross's articles, and that she lumped kids with only a 'token' skip in together with kids who had never been skipped - what a great perspective!

My feeling is that if one must know where one's 'top tenth of a percent' kid ranks among other 'top tenth of a percent' kids, get the SAT at age 9-12.

Would I feel differently if my child was on the "wildly PG" third of the tail? Perhaps!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #8235 02/04/08 01:37 PM
    I like Miraca Gross. I read that book before it was reworked, and I had hoped that the newer edition would be updated across the board. Unless Dottie read the older version, I guess not.

An oldie but a goodie is Children Above 180 IQ by Leta Hollingworth, if you can find it. When I read this and compared my own kids, I knew that I had some kids way outside the norm.

For overall usefulness, I like this one: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8365.asp

I like the idea of having a different system to identify levels of giftedness, but I think Ruf's sample size was way too small and her distribution a bit random. Kids who knocked my socks off were assigned level 4, while at least one who didn't appear as gifted landed in level 5. Deborah Ruf is a lovely person though, and she genuinely cares about these kids.

Lorel #8270 02/05/08 04:36 AM
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    For overall usefulness, I like this one: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8365.asp

I agree with this one!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #8359 02/06/08 08:29 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you Lorel for the link, but you don't post an author. I went to the nypl.org catalog and didn't find by title.

Could you please post details on A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children?

Thanks.

Ren

Wren #8364 02/06/08 09:15 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I have really loved reading Miraca Gross's book and articles. It has helped me a lot, given me courage to keep at it (advocacy, which we all know is so tiring and sometimes disappointing). While some of the scores for the children profiled are intimidating, I still found her studies on long-term wellbeing of radically accelerated kids inspiring. I also like the discussions about siblings. Her book is one I go back to every so often to get "grounded", especially when I've been discouraged by the "system".

Genius Denied probably had the most impact on me of all the books I've read--getting me started. Karen Rogers' Reforming Gifted Education (I think it's called that) got me thinking about grade skips, A Nation Deceived, and Developing Math Talent--all good, but the more I've read, the more overwhelmed I get about how much more needs to be done for my kids. I haven't read Ruf yet.

cym #8376 02/06/08 01:20 PM
    There's a reason I didn't include the author, LOL! There are four of them! Here you go:

James T. Webb PhD
    Janet L. Gore M.Ed
    Edward R. Amend Psy.D
    Arlene R. Devries M.S.E.

I hope you can find it and that it is helpful to you.

Lorel #8411 02/07/08 11:40 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    The NYPL had one book by James T. Webb, but someone took it. I will request they buy this one.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent