Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    She did not have the Conners or the other test you mentioned. I will ask her neuropsychologist about those tests when I call her this morning. She had a ton of other tests, two pages of other tests, but I did not see those on the list.

Sadly, she had a meltdown in class on Friday and hit another child.

It was the end of the second week of school. Our daughter refused to work on the letter "H" any more. The substitute said she had to do so, and our daughter began to cry. When she started to cry, a little boy, the same boy who called her fat the week before, started mimicking her crying.

The girl next to her started to laugh at her, and our dd took her pencil and poked the girl next to her in anger. (this series of events was described by the substitute and our daughter and was very consistent, so probably pretty close to what happened).

After that, our daughter was sent to the principal's office to work it out with the girl she poked with the pencil.

She is insisting on going back to school, but she was sick today with a bad cold so I am keeping her home.

The homework for the weekend -- the numbers 11 and 12.

D
    D
    Treasuremapper, FYI, the ADOS is a social interaction and communication test that helps determine whether a person is on the spectrum or not. If the neuropsych didn't give it, I'm wondering on what basis they made their judgment.

DeeDee

T
    OP Offline
    T
    http://www.agre.org/program/aboutadosg.cfm

DeeDee, I just looked it up. I will definitely ask her why she did not administer it.

WISC-IV
    Conners Continuous Performance Test (sorry, she did take it)
    Wisconsin Card Sorting Test
    Wide Range Assessment of Memory and Learning (WRAML-II)
    NEPSY-II
    Grooved Pegboard
    Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration (VMI)
    Social Responsiveness Scale
    Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC -II)
    Review of available records
    Clinical observation
    Clinical interviews

Previous Testing through education department at local university
    WJ-III, cognitive and achievement
    GARS
    BASC

But I do not see the ADOS!

Last edited by Treasuremapper; 09/07/10 06:30 AM.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I looked at the Australian scale linked above. http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/Articles/The-Australian-Scale-for-Asperger-s-Syndrome.aspx

Her total score was 32 -- the high scores had to do with gross motor skills -- 9, 23, and 24 gave a full 18 points, and the remaining 14 points were spread over the remaining 21 questions, mostly zeros and ones and an occasional two.

She had several on the unusual characteristics under (a) ticked off, mostly noisy crowded places and articles of clothing (she has sensory integration disorder, mostly vestibular and auditory, so this is not a surprise).

I also checked off (c) - lack of sensitivity to low levels of pain, but she seems more sensitive now than she did as a baby.

Thank you for your help.

D
    D
    Treasuremapper, the other thing that can be very useful is the Vineland scale of adaptive behaviors. That can be very telling-- it pinpoints areas where a person is not on target with social, communication, and basic life skills.

The testing your neuropsych did doesn't seem to me to be well targeted for confirming OR ruling out autism spectrum disorders.

DeeDee

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you so much, DeeDee. I will ask her about those tests when I call her today.

J
    J
    If your child has been reading Harry Potter and is now in a class learning the letter H and numbers 1-10, it must be torture for her to sit through the day like that. Her brain must feel numb and it must be very frustrating.

I don't know how much a person can stand that...

It is great that you are doing what you can to help your DD. Keep at it. Don't give up. Come back here to vent if you need to. Best wishes!

Originally Posted by Treasuremapper
    Thank you so much, DeeDee. I will ask her about those tests when I call her today.

I'm waiting to hear when the Tester is calling the school to protest the poor fit between your daughter's learning needs and the classroom.

Are there any alternatives to this particular school?

Sorry to hear about the pencil poking.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets