Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    How do you stop to do meditation when you need to remain hypervigilant because you are in the middle of a nightmare? How do you take deep breaths when the smell is making you sick?
    ((Lori))
    I don't know how you do it, you have such a big job right now. I know that you promised your Dad, to be there for him, but it is ok to at least consider if you want to renegotiate that promise.

My guess is that staying hypervigilant isn't really going to help you never miss an opportunity to be helpful to your son - as in the case of his brace. If you are so hypervigilant that you are a bundle of nerves then it will decrease your ability to function. Hypervigilant is great for alert, but not so good for deciding what to do while alert.

There might be a fire or tornato, but the odds must be small. I think a relaxed and determined state would probably be just as good in responding to a crisis as your default HV, yes?

I am teaching myself to meditate 'one minute at a time' - and I'm starting under rather less stressful minutes than ones where I am likely to toss my cookies because of the smell. I am sure that there are moments at night when all is well and you still aren't sleeping that might be better minutes to start practicing deep breathing. I know I have these moments, and I used to fret about being away when I needed to be asleep. Now I notice that I'm awake and think, "Wow, no one wants me to do anything - this is a great chance to practice my breathing."
    Also waiting in line at the grocery store.

What does the doctor say about the brace not fitting? If you have to live with it, at least sew a snap on instead of the safety pin. You son has a great sense of humor, can he get you laughing about being stuck and needing to go to the bathroom?

Maybe he'll make a comedy routine about the ups and downs of wearing a brace?

BTW - To be a good mother doesn't mean getting everything right every time. I think you would call me a good mother, but I can assure you that there have been times when my son was walking around in sneakers where the soles were totally disconnected from the uppers. Sure I was mortified, but it is just part of parenting. Can you make peace with life's little unexpected bumps?

In other words - you haven't, not one bit, convinced me that you aren't a good mother because your son outgrew his brace.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I love what Grinity wrote and have found this quote useful when feeling overwhelmed:
    "And we don't have to wait for a moment of peace to be mindful; mindfulness brings moments of peace to our lives. Mindfulness is always available to us, with each breath." David Ludwig

G
    G
    Love that quote Inky. So appropriate and lovely too.

P
    P
    Area Agency on Aging. Are you Texas? http://www.aaacap.org/areaagenciesbycounty.html

There are many different kinds of anxiety medication. What kinds of have you tried? There may be classes of medication you have not tried that do not cause tiredness. It sounds like it is time to visit the doctor to take another look at it. If medication is not an option then you are going to need to take other steps - therapy, meditation, breathing, learning to change your thought patterns, etc.

I understand being dealt a totally crappy and overwhelming hand. Unfortunately sometimes that has to happen. Yes, you may need to spend some time feeling bad about it, but getting stuck in that place will do you no good. It only makes you more unable to do what it takes to make the situation more manageable.

Hi Lori,

I was surfing Hoagies Page (Hey, it's the weekend, right?)
    and saw this link.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

When I read the essay, I thought of you and this thread. I'm guessing it feels like no one understands how little resource you have. I'm not sure exactly how this fits with the thread, but have an intution that you can tell me, yes?

Some problems can be solved by shifting perspective.
    Some by being more determined to avoid unhelpful, but comfortable, old habits.
    Some by 'working smarter.'
    Some problems don't get better until we hit bottom and get desperate.
    Some problems doen't get better, but we get better at living with them.
    Some problems don't get better at all.

I love you. I love what you post. I love the picture of your life that you share. You are such a good Mother, and a good Giftie.

Hugs,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets