Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    Took DS4.5 to OT eval after WPPSSI tester recommended it for fine motor, pedi agreed. Went yesterday, the OT said we should get the report next week, but I wonder if someone could explain what we saw. OT loved him, I am a bit concerned that she was a bit blown away by him and focused on that, but probably not.

We expected what he showed in terms of connecting two dots with a line, copying lines, tracing. He held the pencil well, did ok on his name. He was trying so hard he knew it was important. She indicated she thought it was mostly strength rather than an LD. But here were the things that threw us:

he touched his thumb to forefinger, but could not get the other fingers to do it independently, when trying the middle, ring or pinky, the others all went with it.

she had him build block towers, fine, then a step of blocks and a pyramid. But he couldn't do it completely - he actually did it correctly except for the last block. So he had 3 blocks, then 2, and couldn't figure out why his step didn't match hers - it was almost as if he couldn't see that there was another block to place. Same thing with the pyramid, except different set up, he got the bottom 3 separated, then placed one to make the second level, and couldn't figure out that he needed another block on the second level - he even tried to put the one on the top but without 2 on the second level it fell down. But he tried and tried with both and couldn't get it. She did a quick vision track check with a pencil, which his pedi does and she never noticed a problem. But here he seemed unable to track without moving his head.

She also had him put together a puzzle which he was so slow at - but I think that's on us - we haven't gotten him a new puzzle in I don't know how long. frown

I felt so bad for him because he knew he wasn't doing it right and really wanted to, I asked him to read me the signs (he loves signs) just to make him feel better - and he said after doing it, I am really good at reading. SIGH.

I know I should just wait for the report but I have no understanding of this - does he have a blind spot - is it a translation thing? Does he need vision therapy?

thanks,

DeHe

Try not to worry about the tests until you see the results and hear the recommendations. The tests are normed by age, and it is impossible for me to guess whether or not your child's performance is on track or not. It sounds like they conducted assessments on visual motor and fine motor skills and well as visual processing. Each of these skills affect learning in different ways, and I would sit tight to hear what the evaluator says! I know it is hard.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM