Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cym -
    I just walked a IRL friend trough JHU talent search SCAT sign up. They have a parent reccomendation option. Our State tests don't give percentiles, just a top level which is in the to 16 or 22%, but the child did better than DS10 on his tests, so I advised mom to "take the next step." Interestingly, this little boy was a very late talker, late reader, but always very noticibly bright and "different." A few weeks ago we watched "The Lake House" on DVD, at 9 he sat through it and enjoyed it very much. I'm so impressed.

Trinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    There are many positive things that come out of taking advanced level tests, particularly SATs/ACTs. First is the "out-of-the-box" experience for the bright kid. Something different. Second is the feedback from the report they send telling about how the child compares to older kids taking the same test. Good for self-esteem and reality check. Third is practice and experience taking tests before they become part of the "permanent record"--scores will not appear on your child's record if taken before 9th grade. So, there's no pressure and kids can learn the process of test-taking and get comfortable with it. We all know that test scores influence which college you get into and scholarships (not an inconsequential factor when one has 4 children). Also, if their test scores qualify, the kid will be eligible for a huge array of summer programs/institutes. My son didn't have to take qualifying tests for EPGY or selective high school based on his scores (streamlines the process). The talent searches also send all kinds of books and information about programs for gifted kids to him, which are interesting to look through even if we're not going to do them at this time. Finally, somehow fancy prep schools put him on their mailing list and we've received several "invitations" to apply for scholarships to boarding schools across the country. It is fun to look at the brochures and talk to my son about them. He's not interested though. I had such a disfunctional home and would have jumped at opportunities like these, but I'm comforted that my son has no desire to get away from home at this point.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow - Cym! sounds like your son did really well! congradulations. How good do you suppose one has to do to be invited to apply for fancy scholarships at fancy boarding schools? We have a few that are near us.

D
    D
    WG,

I just sent in my son's application for the EXPLORE test in Jan.
    I saw MN test locations listed on the forms (most were public schools-testing is on two Sat in Jan and Feb).

http://www.act.org/explore/ests/

D
    D
    WG.
    The correct talent search name is the �Belin-Blank Exceptional Student Talent Search (BESTS)�.
    The Belin-Blank Center at the University of Iowa conducts the Belin-Blank Exceptional Student Talent Search (BESTS) which utilizes the EXPLORE test for grades 4-6. It has a different test for lower grades and uses the ACT for higher grades.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/talent-search

You can apply on-line or request an application form.

Sorry for the confusion.

W
    W
    hi Trin-
    The test used in our area is the EXPLORE. From what I've read in this thread about it, I don't think Mite would do well on it. My understanding is the SCAT might be a better choice for him -- more about where he is ready to learn rather than what he already knows. He doesn't do well on achievement based testing.

Willa Gayle
    W
    W
    I'm confused. So they have to qualify to take the SCAT? How do they qualify?

I'm sorry. I'm sure all this information is here somewhere. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I'm not sure what to do first. Should we focus on getting his LD under better management then go for the gifted stuff or will going for the gifted stuff help him deal with the LD things?

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL Dottie -
    I'm glad that they have the parent nomination route - some kids are just not going to do well with age level NCLB tests - too dull! Likewise, some kids prefer to mess with the heads of their tester than comply and get the good grade. I think it's terrific that any parent that feels the need too can plunk down their Benjamin and get the test - not like in the public school system where so many gate keeper and vultures block the way! I hope financial aid is offered for kids who's parents can't afford the fees, but compared with IQ testing, this is a bargan. Also, for kids who tend to ceiling out on IQ tests, it's more accurate - or at least it will be until it becomes the popular thing to do and a wider range of parents start sending their kids to take it through the parent nomination route. ((wink))
    Trinity

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Willa Gayle,

I was reading your email asking what to address first, LD or gifted. I get panicky, too, about not be vigilant enough. Even if I find it hard to take my own advice, I'll offer it to you: Relax. The testing is just an extra. It's cool for them, and offers some opportunities, but it's not that important. Especially if your son is younger than 5th grade. I know my son did the SCAT test last year as a 2nd grader "just for fun". Even though he did very well, we're not opting for distance learning (at this time) or commuter camps (we live in the middle of nowhere), so it's just for the experience. I'll have him do the EXPLORE in 5th grade and maybe SAT or ACT in 7th. I'd work on the LD first and maybe consider it when things seem under control (is there really such a fairy-tale time in the lives of moms of PG kids?)
    Cym

W
    W
    Thanks. It's all so new to me. You know, I'm not scared for Mite as an adult. It is just getting him through this complicated education, LD and gifted stuff with his sweet personality intact that has me concerned. I am focused on his LD right now because that's where the school is neglecting him the most...or is it the giftedness....maybe its the social stuff.....

YIKES!!8^()!!!

Willa Gayle
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM