Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    acs Offline
    We have been very lucky to be at a "poor" school. Virtually no homework. There are so many single parent families trying to make ends meet, or parents working two or more jobs, that the school understands that it is unrealistic to ask kids to do that much homework. In 6th, DS gets anywhere from 5 min to 2 hours of Algebra homework (he's subject accelerated) and maybe 5-20 of English. The Algebra is getting shorter as DS learns actual study habbits--YEAH!

The result of the lack of homework is plenty of time to after school (Spanish, math etc), play with friends, take music lessons, play soccer and read his own books and magazines etc. I don't know what we'd do if he had to do all the homework I know some of you deal with. I need time to give him MY curriculum as well--I don't want the school monopolozing his time after school.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    So much homework for such little kids--awful! The one night DS 6 had close to 2 hrs of homework, I wrote the teacher a note and said I thought it was excessive (one math concept, math problems). HG/PG kids don't need such repetition. They can master it after a couple problems. Since then he's only had max of 30 minutes, but most days none. My older kids (9th & 7th grades) have about an hour of homework usually.

Did anyone hear the story on NPR this morning about the connection between The Family Dinner and school success? Very interesting. Evidently the new researcher says it's not specifically sitting down to dinner, but more the quality of interaction, conversation, vocabulary, etc. at dinner. Isn't this an argument to limit activities so everyone can hang out and talk? How can quality of conversation be top knotch if kids are so exhausted after soccer, violin, etc. and mom is too beat from transporting to conjure witty reparte?

Agreed, cym!

One of the big factors for me about whether DS6 would actually attend that GT school next year part-time is if they piled on the insane homework or not. The answer was not, unless they didn't work in class, and that seemed okay to me. 7yos should NOT be doing 2-3 hours of homework per night!

It makes me want to turn to the school and say, "But when do they get to be kids?" <sarcastic smirk>

Kriston
    K
    K
    cym - I totally agree! 2-3 hours of homework a night seems like a lot for 2nd grade to me. The school has them for 6+ hours a day. What are they doing all day? You're totally right - GT kids especially do not need that kind of repetition. I think sending "something" home for organizational skills and to keep the parents informed about what they're working on in class is a good practice. But anything more than about 20 minutes in 1st grade (where we're at) seems out of control. I would reconsider for a short term project - like for science or something along those lines. But in that case, it's very open ended and DS would LOVE something like that.

I actually think DS learns MORE by having free time to pursue things on his own. Granted - he is very poorly placed and challenged in school right now. This is just another reason we are more strongly considering homeschooling for at least a trial run. I really feel like he could and would learn more in 2-3 hours a day than he would in our current school set up. And be a much happier kid in the process.

I was at a Ruf lecture, and she noticed that on achievement tests some of the scores reflect FOK that a child can pick up on their own, and some reflect skill that just have to be taught... she pointed out that on the FOK subtest, the scores of gifted children go up during the summer, when they have more time to read what they choose, while of course for ND kids a the achievement test type scores go down over the summer. So I wouldn't be at all suprised that your DS is learning more when he isn't wasting his time with school, kimck. Depending on the age, a child might learn more in 30 minutes than they learn from a day of school.

Although a school that isn't totally toxic can have wonderful benifits as well.

Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    I am impressed at the well rounded "education" you are giving your children. You are this teacher's dream parents.

I have just one question about the homework and then a few thoughts. First, is this homework the same for ALL of the class? If so, just imagine, your gifted child is taking two hours to finish. Wonder how long it takes the LD child? You are SO right; that is excessive on both counts.

My other thought on homework is always the purpose. The bright child probably already gets it after 10 problems (maybe less).

The middle child needs to practice more, but is likely to make errors without some reinforcement. I like to spot check classroom assignments as the kids work, just to make sure that the process is resulting in correct answers. (Note that I didn't say the child is using the "right" process.) I sure don't want a student doing 50 problems and reinforcing something that is always resulting in incorrect answers. He or she would be better off with the same 10 problems as the gifted child, but probably needs the skill reinforced quite often.

Then there are those children that I have the most sympathy for. They are the ones with the poor study habits and/ or weak skills (and often less than helpful parents.) How is this child supposed to even think about getting those 50 problems right? In all likelihood, he/ she probably got very few done at school and by the time he begins the work at home there is little recall to the process. Where does he turn for help?

For these reasons none of my students have much homework. Let the child pursue his/ her own interests to broaden their horizons. This does so much more to make a well rounded child. If I give "homework" for the sake of homework.....especially to a bright child, it is going to be something open ended. The one thing that I have found with my classroom experience is that most GT kids want concrete answers and they do not like being wrong. (One other thread mentions creativity as one of the important factors in programming. In my opinion this should be #1.) Our brightest---your children--- are going to be problem solvers of some type. They need to learn that it is okay to have to back away and regroup. It is okay to not have an immediate answer....And that an 84% is an okay score if I go back and LEARN from my mistakes. Children often learn more from evaluation of mistakes than being the perfect student in the beginning.

I would guess that few of us recall those tests that we got 100% on, but I can tell you about the question in seventh grade math (over 30 years ago) that I missed, but found out in looking for my mistake that the teacher had used the wrong formula. If that hadn't been the case, I would still remember because my goal was to know what the mistake was so that it never happened twice. Even if it was a careless mistake, it was a learning experience. I also learned some very useful skills of communication while asking about the mistake or defending what I thought were correct answers.

Originally Posted by Just ducky
    The one thing that I have found with my classroom experience is that most GT kids want concrete answers and they do not like being wrong. (One other thread mentions creativity as one of the important factors in programming. In my opinion this should be #1.) Our brightest---your children--- are going to be problem solvers of some type. They need to learn that it is okay to have to back away and regroup. It is okay to not have an immediate answer....And that an 84% is an okay score if I go back and LEARN from my mistakes. Children often learn more from evaluation of mistakes than being the perfect student in the beginning.

I want to send my kids to your classroom!

*sigh* <fluttering eyelashes>

I think I have a teacher crush. wink

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Hi Just Ducky,

I think we all are thinking that you live up to your screen name!

J
    J
    I just believe that I have a calling. Not trying to be arrogant, but I am good at what I do. Like anyone, I make mistakes and those 10 year olds told me so today!!! That made me smile because they are not afraid to ask me to look at something that I have done. Those are the skills the bright kids need taught. (Needless to say, I often have to shed some light on being tactful. It doesn't bother me, but the next teacher isn't quite so open. Plus rudeness is not accepted!!!)

I hope that I am always seeking to be the best for them, but approachable by all. There are days that I would absolutely walk away and never look back-----until one of them smiles and reminds me why I'm there. That perfect blend. I have every level in my classroom of 28 (including a child with severe emotional issues) but my greatest achievement, I think, is that each one sees the others as an equal part of the team. Some just have a little more insight than others and often find that they don't have to put as much effort into the general studies areas that are new to all of them. For some reason, Indiana History is just a lot easier to understand for those high ability kids. The really cool thing is that they sometimes think of the best way to get their peers to understand. Try as I might, I cannot think like some 4th graders.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I just happen to love seeing those AHA! moments.

Since this is an "extracurricular activities" discussion, may I suggest that you look into this site and see if there is a summer camp near you?
    www.campinvention.org

This was probably the biggest key in reigniting my passion for gifted education. It is not billed as a gifted program, but there are so many components that are vital to a good program. You will find "regular" kids there. I could become a walking commercial for the organization. After bringing it to my school last year, we are pumped and ready for year number two. There was absolutely no doubt that we would be a host site again. I didn't even have to beg the superintendent and school board this year. The kids that I took to the board meeting pretty much guaranteed continued approval. (The supt. simply said, "You know that you will have many more kids next year!! Be prepared.") By the way, last year's participants are our BILLBOARDS this year. Their enthusiasm and excitement are selling the program to those students not involved last year. We had trouble getting kids to leave at the end of a day last summer and even "lost" one child when he went back to a classroom to "get" something. He really just wanted to continue working on a project and was leaning down in the classroom and wouldn't answer the instructor calling his name. Knowing he was in one of two rooms that are side by side, the teacher found him adding touches to his "roller coaster."

I know some of the others here did not have good experiences with camp invention, but my kids went last year and they LOVED it!!!! In fact as soon as it was over they were begging to go back and were already trying to gather their broken appliance for next year. We have already signed up for this year. Their school hosts it and I know the teachers running it and it was a really great experience for them. So I'm with Just Ducky - at least check it out in your area. smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM