Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    tdha Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi, we just applied to DYS for our ds7. They have requested samples to showcase his abilities, 2-3 grades above his current (1st).

My trouble is I am not sure what to send. His strengths are verbal expressions, vocabulary, reading comprehension etc.. his writing skills are far behind his verbal so I can't send a written report, and his math skills are only 1 grade level up. Sometimes I wonder if he is not ready for DYS. But then he opens his mouth.. and I change my mind :-)

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Any suggestions?

T
    tdha Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi, thank you all for your responses. I am glad to see that I am not the only one kind of stumped by this request.

We sent in his WISC-IV and his WIAT results from about a year ago. His scores qualified him with the requirements albeit just barely.

I agree a video tape may be the only way to really capture him. Part of the challenge is his age, so even if he doesn't get accepted this time we will try again later if it seems like a good fit.

Thanks

T
    tdha Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    yes, and a list of books he read.. maybe even a video of him reading out loud as he is very good

Video sounds like a good idea, probably the best option for verbal skills. Hopefully DS will cooperate.

Good luck

LMom
    When I was considering applying by portfolio, I came to the conclusion that video/audiotape were THE ways to go! If you see/hear an HG+ kid in action, it's pretty clear that's what you're seeing. And since even the most PG kids aren't usually writing novels in 1st grade, I don't know how else you can show what they can do.

Lists of above-grade-level books read and in what time span they were read is a good idea. (Reading one Harry Potter book over the course of a year is less impressive than reading a Harry Potter book in a week, for example.) Have him dictate a story to you or talk about something he loves and film it or tape record it. I'd recommend providing a transcript of anything you tape as well, just to make things easier on the DYS evaluators.

Good luck! smile

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Maybe a relevant question is what is advanced reading, writing and math work for a seven year old? I know you can show lexile level for reading, but what type of writing and math is grade level for each elementary grade? For example, is multiplication considered second grade or third grade? Division, fractions, decimals, etc? Once you know the corresponding grade level to the type of academic work your child can do, you'll be able to submit samples of the appropriate level work, either written or videotaped. I think selecting the subject matter is the toughest part of what you've been asked to do.

Originally Posted by tdha
    Hi, we just applied to DYS for our ds7. They have requested samples to showcase his abilities, 2-3 grades above his current (1st).

Thanks tdha! I've thought for a long time that the age+3 working level is a very good way to describe a PG kid who hasn't been hothoused. All you who think that being able to work at 'age+3' without being taught, or even with minimal teaching isn't really unusual, need to get out more! LOL!

Our school has a website, where they write down the expectations for grade level in an area called "scope and sequence." If that's not readily availible, skim the "What your 3rd grader needs to know" books in your library. You can also buy workbooks from your local library in Math and LA I think, or use Singapore Math website's placement tests.

A fun thing to do, if you have the resource, is to tape him learning a new math skill, so you can show how little it takes, but I don't want to encourage you to make this molehill into a mountain. Still - what a lovely memory!

Transcribing stories is an easy way to make a nice memory that would also get the job done.

Enjoy!
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 02/04/08 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Q
    Q
    oops - forgot to say, that I expect only Davidson knows the answer to the above and you probably will want to ask them (e.g., how can you prove reading comprehension?). And in answer to Dottie's point, I'd guess (and that's a guess) that the reason they are "only" asking for evidence of academic achievement 2-3 grades ahead is because your DS already has qualifying verbal scores. Seems to me that they are looking for confirmation that his academic output will catch up to his verbal reasoning ability. And per their portfolio information, they do accept audio and video.

T
    tdha Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I just looked over his school work from last week. He is doing work 2-3 grade levels up in his class during reading comprehension rotations already. So I have that. I will also list his books, he recently read 1-30 Hardy Boys (since Christmas) and interview him on camera - he will LOVE IT!

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have helped me to group my thoughts about what to put together.

They said in their letter that they want to confirm they are admitting only children in the extremes of the population as to not stray from their mission and to not put pressure on children who don't fit that category. I think that is fair. I have no intention of putting DS7 into a situation he won't benefit from.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    All you who think that being able to work at 'age+3' without being taught, or even with minimal teaching isn't really unusual, need to get out more! LOL!

LOL! That would me. I completely stopped comparing DS5 to other kids in K because it makes no sense (I must admit that I do compare DS3 to them). On one hand I know he is unusual, on the other hand I look at GT boards and mailing lists and having knowledge 2-3 years above the age seems like a norm. KWIM? I guess I spend too much time on GT boards smile I think I need to look at the real world more. LOL.

LMom
    A
    A
    Hey Lmom,

When you undestand that 'real world' let me know (along with access codes!)

Aline

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs