Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    NJMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I was wondering if anyone has a young child (K-3) at any of the SIG day camps this summer. If so, I would love to hear some feedback on the quality and level of the courses. You can post on the forum, or send me a PM if you prefer.

I'm thinking of sending my DS next summer, but it's expensive, and I don't want to do it unless I can be reasonably sure that the academic content will be a good fit.

Ooh ooh, I would be interested to hear as well. Thinking of this for next summer.

DS7 attended the SIG 3 week day camp earlier this summer. He wants to attend next summer. He did "game theory" where he learned chess strategies and other strategy games, an earth sciences class, and a chemistry class. He loved them all, but his favorite was the chess...that teacher was particularly enthusiastic. His most challenging part of the camp was coming up with his own project. He is so used to school telling him what to do and study, that the novelty of that threw him for a loop. But he chose tornados for earth science and had fun.

Disclaimer: my son is 2e (autism) so for him, fun is staying busy and not being bored by lectures. He had to use his "strategies" of leaving the room a few times to avoid being disruptive during "boring times" and the teachers were tolerant of that. Also, the play periods were hard for him (like a lot of unstructured things are) especially because there were older kids who wanted to hang out with themselves, and not a 7 year old little boy. He wanted to do things with a group of older (9 or 10 year old) girls and they (of course!) wanted nothing to do with him.

You are right about the cost, but for us it was worth it. It was a great transition from school to summer. I can answer anything else in more detail if you want. nan

N
    NJMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    So what do you think about the actual content? Was it challenging/interesting enough? You mentioned that your son had to leave the room during the "boring times."

The actual content was interesting and I think with the right kid, it could be challenging. For him, he had to pick a topic within a narrow range and then research it. He didn't know what to research about tornados...what would be interesting for a presentation on that topic...I had to point him in the right direction. He was content to figure out why tornados form more in the area of the US called tornado alley. He didn't elaborate as much as he could have. The teachers let the kids do what they want on the topic. When he was done, he was done whether it was a finished project or not. By boring, I meant continuing to fine tune and flesh out a project. He said he finished his project and everyone else was still working on theirs. He didn't know the right questions to ask the teachers on how to flesh out the presentation. The teachers wanted him to finish the project and he said he was done. This was my son's first experience with independent research. I did not realize the camp was going to involve this, and the other parents seem to know. I think if I had prepared DS ahead of time, he would have handled it better. But I also think that the teachers could have assisted a little more.

That's probably why the game strategies class was his favorite...no big project and always learning new strategies for different games. Does that help? Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent