Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DeeDee, thanks for the input. His ped said the same thing when she originally gave me the script for the trial meds. As for a f/u with the psych, he specializes in adolescent/child. Do you think it'd be worth a f/u with him or should I look for someone else to talk to about it? I couldn't agree with you more about the label. I think he's more concerned about "labeling" him for school purposes than himself. Even though "labeling" him in school could work in his favor since it would be addressed?

D
    D
    Our experience is that if the kid is unusual enough to need labeling, then lots of people at school and elsewhere are already noticing he's unusual, so it's not like the label is going to change things much for the worse from a social point of view.

Once you are sure enough about the diagnosis to tell the child, it's also better for the child's self esteem to think that he's got interesting wiring than to think he's a terrible person who simply can't do what others can do but doesn't know why. The diagnosis can depersonalize the challenges in a useful way so the child and the whole family can grasp them and work on them without its being a problem of the "child being bad."

The other thing about the label is that if he's unusual enough to merit a label, he's also unusual enough to need the services that a label can bring at school. The label gives you the legally protected right to an education that is more appropriately focused on the particular child's needs. As long as that education is actually delivered appropriately (and this bears serious watching!)-- that seems to me an unqualified good. It has been this way in our experience with a 2E child.

As for the followup: tricky. Based on the very little I know of your DH, it might be easier to get him to go if it were couched as a parent education meeting with the child psych than if it were framed as a meeting with the adult psych about DH's own issues. He probably wouldn't like that. Right? It seems to me the child psych could probably tell you a great deal about how to manage the diagnosis as parents for the benefit of the child, information that could also help your DH come to terms more gracefully.

HTH,
    DeeDee

K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks so much DeeDee

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Our experience is that if the kid is unusual enough to need labeling, then lots of people at school and elsewhere are already noticing he's unusual, so it's not like the label is going to change things much for the worse from a social point of view.

I totally agree - in fact, the proper label can often help you avoid other, more troublesom labels.

I don't know how I missed this whole thread, but I just wanted to let you know I love how rapidly you are pursuing getting an answer!

Our son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder when he was young and having early intervention therapies helped him incredibly! My husband was extremely resistant to any kind of "label" but he has since come around and is our son's biggest champion.

DH is the one who goes in to the school and has the patience to sit for hours explaining to the principal that DS is not being defiant, DS is not a sociopath, here is what the school can do to make life easier for everyone. DH is the one who checks and makes sure the school is following the IEP, and meets with the teachers individually to discuss what would work best in that particular classroom. For someone who was adamently against labels, DH has turned into an advocate...and our son is thriving because of it!

Now I need to work on getting DH to be a gifted advocate...:) Nan

D
    D
    Nan, sounds like your DH is already a wonderful advocate. What a tremendous gift he is to your DS!

DeeDee

K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Nan, that's awesome about your DH.

I agree about the labeling. I think it'd be better if he is labeled with the correct label instead of being labeled as a bad kid or a defiant kid or whatever.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens when school starts in a few weeks. This new school has a lot of Sp. Ed. teachers, so hopefully he'll get the assistance he needs to keep his ADHD in check other than what we're doing at home.

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone, you've been great!

Originally Posted by NanRos
    Our son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder when he was young and having early intervention therapies helped him incredibly!

Thanks for sharing Nan and especially this part. I find that society is still so anti-labels and especially when it comes to anything on the spectrum that they miss the importance of early intervention.

Kudos to you and your husband.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...