Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    My DS9 is not diagnosed with anything....I don't even consider him to have sensory processing *disorder* but rather to have sensory differences. He is definitely highly sensitive to tactile input and also a sensory seeker.

When he is bored, sometimes when he is extremely focused and sometimes when excited he will make weird noises, repetitive movements and even head "bang" (although he isn't doing it hard enough to hurt himself). Just tonight while playing Tri-ominos he was making strange noises and lots of movement while thinking and studying the pieces during his turn.

Debbie,

I wonder if a parent could confuse like, a sensual overexcitability or something like that to a sensory processing disorder?

I think of sensory processing disorder as a person who has a taste sensation when they think of numbers, or feels sun on their skin like a prickly sensation or something along those lines.

Would you clear this up for me. My little one has exhibited hand flapping, also, but only when she's very excited about an activity that she is extremely engaged in.

OP Offline
    Sorry I havn't written back in so long. I think the hand flapping thing is dying down a bit. And now thinking back on it, she was very excited while doing it, I was just attributing it to being bored. I read up on over-exitability with gifted kids on Hoagies and it was really enlightening, actually made sense.

I wonder how many children who are gifted are labeled with ADHD?

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Debbie,

I wonder if a parent could confuse like, a sensual overexcitability or something like that to a sensory processing disorder?

I think of sensory processing disorder as a person who has a taste sensation when they think of numbers, or feels sun on their skin like a prickly sensation or something along those lines.

Would you clear this up for me. My little one has exhibited hand flapping, also, but only when she's very excited about an activity that she is extremely engaged in.

Here's a good description of SPD:
    http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html#lookslike

Hand flapping isn't typically considered to be a "sensory processing disorder" but more a behavior related to overexcite-ability or hypersensitivity. At least in my experience. I once saw a child who came in for an OT evaluation with hand flapping as the primary concern from his parents. But he only did it when he was intensely concentrating on something or excited about what he was doing. I watched him do it while he was sorting and organizing some toys during the evaluation. Then he instantly stopped the behavior when I called his name and asked him to sit at the table. But then started again while he was looking at some pictures for me and concentrating. The child was obviously gifted. And his dad said that *he* does the same thing! Apparently the mom just wanted them BOTH to stop!

And yes a parent, or professional for that matter, can easily confuse sensitivities and a disorder. As I've said before on this site and others, it's really only a disorder if it disrupts development or life! If it ain't broke, no reason to fix it!

Last edited by doodlebug; 07/30/10 09:52 PM.
    Thanks for posting that link. Good advice on when to seek treatment.

Originally Posted by Kerry
    As for our summer - we decided to grow a garden this summer, in hopes of getting lots of veggies for canning and preserving and baking - but we've been most successful growing catepillars! crazy Which has turned DDs into catepillar "owners" complete with a butterfly house and the daily "chore" of feeding them and cleaning their house and basically keeping track of them. It has been great for them, but not so great on DH's ego - he was really hoping for a banner crop of tomatoes. frown

I had to update you all about our catepillars. We just spent the last 1/2 hour watching the first 2 moths emerge from their pupa! They crawled their way out of the dirt (good thing we kept the cover on the container smile )- it was really cool. They pretty quickly emerged from about 5 inches of dirt, with long spotted bodies and little grey moltted wings. We put them into a large clear plastic container with a few sticks and watched them pump their wings up and unroll their probiscus and about 5 minutes later watched as they spread their wings for the first time.
    I don't know who was more excited about it DD7 or DH ! There are 4 or 5 more in the dirt still, so we could be busy over the next few days.

Of course, DD wants to keep them and start a moth farm crazy but DH is intent on letting them go this evening when it gets a bit cooler so that they can live out their days the way they are suppose to (his exact words).

DD is now going to make both a power point book about the experience as well as a written book about the life cycle of the tomato horn worm. (I can't wait to see the final product.) I'll let you all know how it goes smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM