Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am new, but have enjoyed reading many of your posts.

I have a 2-year old daughter with a late November birthday who started reading sometime between 18 and 20 months. For a while, I believed she had just memorized all her books, but I finally convinced myself that she could recognize words when I typed them on a computer and she was able to read them.

She is currently enrolled in a Montessori program, but we're looking at alternative private school options for pre-K on. The problem is her late November birthday, which misses the cutoffs in Virginia, DC, and MD. I'm hoping to convince the schools to make an exception, but I would like to have an independent assessment to strengthen our case. Since the private schools we are considering require applicants to take the WPPSI�III, I was considering having her tested as soon as she turns 2.5 (min. age for the test) to have the scores in hand earlier on in the application (or negotiation) process. However, would it be more advantageous to wait until she is closer to 3 years (the latest age we could schedule the test is 3 years because results are due at the schools in January 2009)?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I think it depends a lot on the child. Does she like to sit at a table and do little games one-on-one with an adult? Or is she one of those kids who doesn't like to sit still or be directed to a particular task?

I guess if you test earlier your would have a chance for her to be retested (on a different test) if necessary...

My son took the WPPSI-III at age 4.5. He really enjoyed the experience and has asked me when he will get to have another "brain checkup". smile

Cathy

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    It depends on the day. She's never been a great sleeper. After a rough night (which is still not infrequent), I don't think she would be able to do it. However, on a normal day, she probably would enjoy it even.

Very cute about the "brain checkup" smile

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    What happens if your child has an off day on their testing day? Can the evaluator choose to cancel the session?

Can you get the sleep thing to work? (or let her sleep with you the night before the test, if that's how she sleeps best?)

Lots and Lots of gifted kids sleep poorly! For some it's because they are terrible about winding down, for other it's because they just don't need a lot of sleep. Figuring out which situation fits your particular kid is the key. I think that a lot of us freewheeling gifted mom's really rebel against the schedual thing, which doesn't help the child sleep well. That was true of me anyway!

I was convinced that my DS11 just didn't need sleep as a baby, but I might have noticed that he drifted off just fine as long as he had skin-to-skin with me!

Anyway - welcome!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Interesting note on sleep and giftedness! My DD9 STILL won't sleep alone and neither will many of her friends -- a fact that is there but a bit under the radar until you ask their parents.I have always been convinced that this is one her quirks -- She is very independent until-- she's not! I was TERRIFIED to sleep when I was a child.

Do you have any citations about this/

Aline

C
    cym Offline
    C
    The diagnostician we used says there are tests normed down to age 2--my kids were tested at 4-5, and that was considered young. She says she would cancel if kid has an off day, but since she doesn't know my kids--how would she know when it's an off day. I would keep goals in mind when you test...since you want to get into the preschool, test as close to deadline as you can. My kids who skipped early had a little trouble with dexterity skills (writing). IQ scores for many things are valid for 2 yrs, so you want to make sure it's valuable.

Mia Offline
    Hmm. I'm no help on that one; my ds took the WPPSI at 5y5m.

Can I ask another question? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious. Why are you switching out of Montessori? We had a great Montessori Early Childhood experience (ds did a toddler program from 2-3, and Early Childhood from 4-5). We switched out mainly so he could start K with his classmates, and Montessori past K just wasn't an option for us.

I know a lot of gifted children, especially gifted preschoolers, do well in a Montessori program because it's less structured.

Just curious! smile

Mia
    A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We never intended staying in Montessori past K (at the latest). I really like Montessori for pre-school ages, but I don't necessarily think a little more structure is a bad thing for grades 1 and up.

The reason we're looking to transition her for pre-K instead of a little later is that the private schools here in the DC area (like so many other places) are so competitive that it seems to make sense to apply as early as possible.

A secondary factor is her Montessori school's location. We're fairly happy with the school, but a major drawback is that it is 25 miles away. I drive her in in the mornings and then have to wait for her until school is out (there is too much traffic in this area to attempt the drive back home). On days that there are evening activities, we're traveling 100 miles -- it's a little much. There are not many alternative Montessori options closer to us due to her November birthdate. We cannot apply for September entry (she needs to be 3), and they will only consider her application for November entry if they have any openings at that time.

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    cym, did your early-skipped children have any troubles besides less-developed dexterity skills?

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Can you get the sleep thing to work? (or let her sleep with you the night before the test, if that's how she sleeps best?)Grinity
    I really wish I could get the sleep thing to work! She likes her bedtime routine and voluntarily climbs into her bed and drifts off by herself. But this does not translate to sleeping through the whole night. Some nights she wakes up and comes to our bed and manages to sleep the rest of the night. But other times, she spends 2 to 3 hours kicking us, singing, etc. but seems unable to fall asleep again. I don't know how to ensure a good night's sleep for her.

Anyway - welcome!
    Thanks! smile

[quote=Ana KI really wish I could get the sleep thing to work! She likes her bedtime routine and voluntarily climbs into her bed and drifts off by herself. But this does not translate to sleeping through the whole night. Some nights she wakes up and comes to our bed and manages to sleep the rest of the night. But other times, she spends 2 to 3 hours kicking us, singing, etc. but seems unable to fall asleep again. I don't know how to ensure a good night's sleep for her.

[/quote]

Oh! How exhausting. Keep a journal for a month on daily activities, exposure to TV/computer/radio, minutes outdoors, food, playmates, your moods, anything you think might be the cause of these kicking hours! Post your results and we'll help anyway we can.

One story I keep hearing is that they child is "burning to learn" and at a much higher level than the parent expected, but compliant enough to do worksheets at a much lower level than the 'readiness level' causing sleep and behavior issues.

I don't personally find 'workbooks' appealing, but for this young age getting a few Sinapore Math and LA workbooks to have around the house and see if she 'finds herself' there may be a good investment.

Good luck!
    Grinity

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Ana,

The early skipped kids (DS 9 skipped 2nd when he was 7 and DS 5 skipped K when he was 5) had no troubles skipping. They were definitely able to do the work and fit in better with the older kids. No attention or behavior issues (at school). They were fluent readers. Much easier earlier on than for my oldest who skipped 5th. DS 9 broke his arm 3 times and was writing delayed because of it (he used his left to write, then switched, still has poor handwriting, but can type fast smile We're always considering 2nd skip for DS 9.

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    cym,
    Did you have to lobby for your son's K skip, or did the school recognize that K was not challenging him?

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Keep a journal for a month on daily activities, exposure to TV/computer/radio, minutes outdoors, food, playmates, your moods, anything you think might be the cause of these kicking hours! Post your results and we'll help anyway we can.
    I think I'll give the journal a try. So far (not keeping a journal, though), I've been unable to find any correlations between her day and how she sleeps at night -- I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that it was random. But I think the journal idea is a good one! Thank you!

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Ana,

I had DS IQ tested only a week or so before school started, luckily got the results right away, went into school to sit down with principal. There wasn't enough time to schedule IEP (teachers weren't back at school yet, but principal was there). The diagnostician had called ahead either principal or head of gifted dept. When I arrived at principal's office I had papers in hand, but he didn't even ask to see them. He just made some kind of analogy like, "As I understand it, (DS) is far far beyond the other kids in K?" I said, "Yes" and that I wanted to place him in 1st. He said "Fine" told me the teacher he'd be assigned to, and that was that. Paperwork & IEP came about 3 months later. I was so impressed with the principal to do that (most need paperwork in place ahead of time, but this guy was great).

DS really flourished in 1st but started stagnating after a couple months, so at the semester when we had the IEP, he moved to the full time gifted class (they wanted to be sure his basic skills were in place before moving him). He's now in 2nd, but able to work on 4th grade math, 5th grade reading & spelling. Small class of 9 kids (grades K-2) and will move up to the older PEGS class next year.

K
    K
    Wow cym! That's an amazing story. Your principal sounds like a real gem.

A
    Ana K. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I agree, what a great principal! Can I move to your school district smile? In this area the public schools' GT programs only begin in grade 3 and age cutoffs seem pretty inflexible.

Thanks for sharing -- and your son sounds like an amazing little boy!

Good luck Ana K!
    The journal thing may not work, but it can't hurt! Plus you'll have a great keepsake.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Ana K.
    I agree, what a great principal! Can I move to your school district smile? In this area the public schools' GT programs only begin in grade 3 and age cutoffs seem pretty inflexible.

Thanks for sharing -- and your son sounds like an amazing little boy!

There are always pros & cons to every school/educational setting--I've found. I love our elementary program for EG/PG kids, but I doubt most people would find this town otherwise enticing. I love it--I really think I can be happy anywhere--but it is in the middle of NOWHERE, lots of poverty, mostly a strip mall vista...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM