Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The WISC is done, and DS6 scored 151 in Perceptual Reasoning! Yahoo! That means he has DYS-worthy scores on both the WISC and the WJ3, and hopefully DYS will accept him.

So now I'm wondering how often DYS rejects kids with qualifying scores. Any ideas? Does having the scores mean you're pretty much in, or is that just the first of many layers of requirements? Should I spend a lot of time carefully crafting every answer on the app, or can I just "get 'er done" because the scores are what really matter?

Thanks for any help you can offer, friends!

Nervously,

K-

P.S. Interestingly, DS6 showed more verbal on the SB5 and more visual-spatial on the WISC. That seems weird to me! Why would he seem more verbal on the test for V-S kids and more V-S on the test for verbal kids? Any thoughts? confused

He *is* a very verbal kid who is also really good at puzzles and patterns. Maybe it just means he's both, somehow? ???

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for thinking of us, CFK! So nice! smile

Yes, the WISC was apparently a much better fit for DS6. (Though his verbal score was just a 132 or something like that, if memory serves. That seemed low to me. But whatever...) That helped.

He also slept well in his own bed last night and wasn't getting sick like he was the last time, so it was an all-around better test day. If he hadn't made the cut, this would have been the last try for a good long while because it was a good test day. So it worked out well for us. smile

Originally Posted by CFK
    ...I'm sure it must be nice to get that over with and get validation for your beliefs at the same time!

You're so right! I'm just glad to finally feel like we KNOW something! After the SB5, when we didn't get any real answers one way or the other, I felt so frustrated, so clueless. This confirmation that yes, he really is *that* smart is very, very nice. It's a big relief.

Thanks for letting me share. It's nice to have friends! laugh

Kriston
    Those are awesome numbers! He sounds similar to my son. High PIQ, lower but still gifted VIQ.

I was wondering the same thing about DYS and scores. We will find out in a few weeks.

Good luck with the application. It's pretty long but doable with a glass of wine or two smile

LMom
    K
    K
    Congrats Kriston! That must feel great.

I have no idea if kids with scores in the DYS range get rejected. Understandably, people are not always forthcoming about getting rejected!

Good luck to your DS! He sure sounds like a YS kid to me.

Go Kriston's DS! I have no idea, but vote for the 'go as fast as you can' approach. They are quite comfortable asking for 'more please!'
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    By the way, it's insanely unfair that you got virtually instantaneous results!!!!

LOL! I don't have the written report yet, if that makes you feel any better. But both this psych and the other one we used gave us immediate verbal feedback on the tests.

It certainly is a load off my mind!

Thanks for all the well-wishes and advice and info, everyone. What in the world would I do without all of my e-friends to get me through this stuff!?! laugh

P.S. I'm starting to fill out the DYS app now, and I'll get'er done as fast as I can. I've already handed a recommendation form to our babysitter. Fast it is!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Our tester is 8 months pregnant, so she wants it done and off her desk as much as we do! Ha! So I'm expecting to get it pretty fast. She knows we're applying to DYS, and she thinks he needs it, so that's helpful.

(Plus I have no trouble with doing some nagging of the tester if necessary. LOL!)

Hope you're in, LMom! smile

Kriston
    D
    D
    Kriston,
    I so happy to hear your son earned such high scores!

Best wishes to everyone with the DYS application. Don�t stress too much about it. You know your children best and will give the best account of their individual precocity and needs.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, delbows! smile

Kriston
    Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM