Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    cwees #79970 07/09/10 12:24 PM
    I meet so many adults who constantly dismiss young people's feelings and think reciting "they're just kids" makes it okay, so I just wanted to thank you for respecting your daughter so much. If only more of my students had people at home who would treat them this way.

cwees #79983 07/09/10 02:06 PM
    Originally Posted by cwees
    Excellent points--your comment on giving the best advice my "mom-gut" can come up with really hit home because I do find myself saying things I know other people would disagree with (like my own mother smile )but that feel right for my DD. I told her recently that her dad and I realized that because she and her BF were both gifted, that the feelings they feel for each other may be more intense than what was typical of her friends in their relationships, and her face lit up and she turned to me and said "Thank you" in such a sincere voice--I could tell it meant a lot to her.

Also--loved the music clip smile

That is so beautiful to hear - Go Mom gut!!!

Glad you liked the ditty ((shy smile))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    cwees #79988 07/09/10 03:12 PM
    Originally Posted by cwees
    Hi, I'm new here--I wanted to get some opinions on my daughter's situation. She is a gifted kid, and started "going out" with a gifted boy her age in April (both 12 at the time). Since this was middle school and first boyfriend, I didn't take it too seriously, but I'm starting to realize they are not acting like "middle schoolers"--but more like high school kids dating (I seriously think they might love each other--not puppy love--the relationship seems pretty mature). Has anyone else had experience with gifted kids and early emotional attachments? I can't find much on this on the internet. Thoughts?

IMHO at 13 gifted or not, she is still a child. From a teens prespective watching my PG friend in HS with her relationships, which were very,very intense, she wanted to be very mature, but the bottom line is she was not ready for relationship(s) and did not know how to handle it when it went bad. IMHO you need to set whatever appropriate boundries are needed to protect her from herself. I would say this to any parent of a teen. All the best...

zhian #80188 07/12/10 12:10 PM
    C
    cwees Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you!

C
    cwees Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the tips! It is hard to know sometimes what they are ready for--this parent thing is a tricky road.

Tricky is exactly the right word!!

Grinity, your insights here are extremely helpful; I'm hoping that others will share any additional thoughts about such emotional intensity in what are, truly, quite young teens.

We're tried to lay down some ground rules right from the start-- that "hiding" things from mom and dad is a BIG no-no, no matter what. No deleting texts, no changing e-mail or FB passwords, etc. We do keep (general) track of the tenor of conversations with the boyfriend (or other friends). I've been surprised by the conversations. They are much more like what I'd expect from kids 15-16, which worries/perplexes/relieves me. Mostly I am not sure what it means.

I also have the sense that my DD, only 13, is very much a child in some ways, in spite of her PG intellect and her intensity. I have concerns for what happens when it ends... but also what if it doesn't??

I share the concern of not wanting my DD to have "interest in boys" become a source of... er...enrichment.

(As it was for her mom.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

I remember being insanely jealous at age 13.

Fortunately, there was only minor property damage involved.

That age sounds about right for traumatic romantic obsessions at least.

inky #135535 08/12/12 01:15 PM
    This is a great thread, despite being old and a little short. It should be dredged up and added to every so often as people have wisdom to contribute.

Originally Posted by inky
    Did you see this article? Asynchronous development strikes again. smile
    http://talentdevelop.com/articles/sexhighlygftd.html
    That article makes a lot of sweeping but questionable statements:

Originally Posted by Annette Revel Sheely
    Many parents of highly gifted children have reported that the physical changes of puberty and the emotional adjustments of adolescence began years earlier than expected for their children.
    Sure, I suppose that four or more parents of gifted parents have felt that way, along with lots of parents of intellectually normally developing children. The implication that gifted children mature more quickly physically sexually on average is as far as I know without solid evidentiary support. What does seem to be true is that children in general are maturing sexually at younger ages with each passing generation.

A 15 year-old boy said this, "It's hard for my parents and I right now. They like how gifted I am when I get awards and stuff, but they want me to slow down with my girlfriend. They say I'm moving too fast. It's the same speed I've always moved at."
    In other words, gifted teenaged boys can be horndogs too, and may be no slouches at coming up with obvious rationalizations.

Polish psychiatrist and psychologist Kazimierz Dabrowski described five "Overexcitabilities" (OE) present in gifted people: Psychomotor, Sensual, Intellectual, Imaginational, and Emotional.
    He theorized about overexcitabilities. Here the author asserts as fact that all five exist, and are present in gifted people.

One young man, a senior in an accelerated academic high school program, described his experience of sex as an incredible sensual exploration: "It takes me from the mundane, closed-in world of homework and rules, to this.. blissful place beyond words, beyond physical limitations."
    "I'm an eloquent horndog."

A young woman who graduated from college at 18 years old commented that in her experience, her highly gifted peers seemed to experience sex in a fuller, more multidimensional way than their age peers.
    What does this even mean? That one young woman witnessed her highly gifted peers having relations in the fifth dimension? That intellectually normally developing teens don't feel deep emotional connections when they have sex?

Highly gifted people tend towards a more androgynous style, and few of them act out gender role stereotypes.
    ... and on and on. The article is fluff.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    A young woman who graduated from college at 18 years old commented that in her experience, her highly gifted peers seemed to experience sex in a fuller, more multidimensional way than their age peers.
    What does this even mean? That one young woman witnessed her highly gifted peers having relations in the fifth dimension.

It's a really neat sentence, that's for sure.

To paraphrase Lewis Carroll, I think it means what the reader chooses it to mean - no more and no less.

D
    D
    Thanks, lucounu, for 'reviving' this thread--I probably would'nt have seen it otherwise, but it is timely for me to think about this (I assume in advance, since we just have DD8/almost 9). I am also very grateful to see the very helpful constructive discussion on alternative perspectives about this (very potentially controversial) topic. I think it does really help in certain instances to hear both sides of an issue.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM