Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    At least now all the advocacy meetings are done for the year and we get a summer break from pretending to be extroverted parents!!
    Love it! laugh

My youngest takes a while to warm up and I was worried that her teachers would take this as a sign that the subject acceleration was problematic. Once she gets comfortable though, watch out!

Thought this was a good way to explain it from a chapter on exclusion in a book called Why Good Kids Act Cruel:
    To the shy adolescent who keeps getting hurt by exclusion, parents can say something like this: "There is nothing wrong with feeling shy. But there can be problems if you act shy, because by acting shy, you make feeling shy worse. So the trick is to gather your courage and act outgoing and responsive. The more you practice acting less shy, the more socially confident you will feel, the more other people will get to know you, the more friends you'll have a chance to make, the more included you will become. If you want to be included and make friends, you have to act friendly. Shy is not a friendly way to act."
    Jesse, thanks for posting that Duke article too.

Originally Posted by master of none
    and who will represent the program well.

I can't stand this attitude. My son is not introverted but he absolutely would not represent their program well, either. He challenges, talks back, sulks, chooses when to answer per his own desires, and generally is an annoying kid at times (according to teachers). He is the kid who shoots his hand in the air, yet if it is a topic that is not of interest (or the 10th review of a topic) he will flip his pencil around, bother the person sitting next to him, or purposely fall out of his chair. We get the same attitude about his lack of fit in a GT program as well.

Although I cringe when I hear the teachers talk about his behavior, I am a little bit proud inside. I was/am introverted and shy and would only raise my hand if forced to, or only answer if directly asked. It is a hard way to be, but we didn't have GT programs when I was a kid until high school AP stuff which we got into automatically due to grades and test scores, I guess...so I do not remember any discrimination; however I never got recognized (that I know of) until high school. I received the most scholarships in my graduating class and I still remember the look of amazement and comments from my FRIENDS. YOU got the most scholarships??? I was actually embarrassed at the time.

B
    B
    When a student uses "programmed instruction" -- for example EPGY -- he/she advances based on what he/she has learned. That may be a better model than using the subjective judgments of teachers to determine academic placement. It won't happen any time soon, unfortunately, so in the mean time afterschool your daughter so that she progresses according to her abilities.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM