Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I agree that is has been mixed.

Background - My daughter attended a great elementary school in another city that catered to whatever level the student needed. Then, we moved to a small town that is weak on academics in the middle of her fifth grade year.

This is a low-performing district. She had a wonderful sixth grade teacher (still elementary) and was able to take an advanced math course.)

She just finished seventh grade this year. She was able to take and advanced math course and the students were ability grouped for a reading class. The shining star was band and choir where she is in her happy place. She was in the science fair club with many of the same students in band - and loved it.

She loves the classes where she is matched by peers, but hates the English and Social Studies classes where everyone is in the same class.

All in all, she loved this year. Some students make fun of her, but she has her group. However, she has learned more about sex and drugs than I did in college.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    However, she has learned more about sex and drugs than I did in college.
    I'm sure that this was informal learning from peers you are referring to wink , but it did remind me to tell you to take a close look at the sex ed/human development curriculum if they have one. We are pretty liberal and not religious, but I opted dd11 out of most of the three week sex ed class the district does for all 7th graders here. They covered anal sex and why it wasn't a way to avoid STDs as well as showing pictures of human genitalia with STDs -- more than my 11 y/o needed. I did let her watch the video of the birth, but I opted her out of the abstinence segment b/c it was being taught by a religious organization with a reputation for poor information on birth control & I didn't want her being scared into thinking that using birth control was ineffectual or bound to cause her permanent damage. This was all in a co-ed class too!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM