Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Well, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I found this Newsweek article interesting:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/101079

Dd is in a self-contained gifted program. When she started, the boys outnumbered the girls by about 5:1. The margin has gone down a little since then, but it is most certainly not 1:1. I am wondering if this has something to do it. Maybe gifted girls are not identified as readily as the boys?

--Celia

Originally Posted by TXpggirl
    Well, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I found this Newsweek article interesting:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/101079

Dd is in a self-contained gifted program. When she started, the boys outnumbered the girls by about 5:1. The margin has gone down a little since then, but it is most certainly not 1:1. I am wondering if this has something to do it. Maybe gifted girls are not identified as readily as the boys?

--Celia

Don't know, GS just started the pull-out gifted program for math. He's 3rd grade, there are 2 boys, 4 girls, in his program.

Dottie, the WISC tests are IQ tests, right? Does your state have a guideline on what to use to identify GT students? Does your school administer the WISC?

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Our state has guidelines referencing IQ testing, but we as a district use the WISC-IV primarily (other tests get used in unusual circumstances) and relies on the full scale for determinations. We also use supporting achievement documentation, but they are pretty strict on the 130 requirement. The school is required by state law to do the evaluations.

Thanks. Our school uses the Iowa Test of Basic Skills to evaluate a student for the gifted program. Ohio law allows any nationally normed test to be used.

Could it be that gifted girls tend to "blend" in better in regular classrooms?

K
    K
    I was wondering that myself bianc. I know for myself, I did everything in my power to blend in elementary school and I could see myself doing terrible on a group test. Not that we were screened at my school anyway.

D
    D
    Thanks for the article link!
    It reminds me of a (Far Side) I think, cartoon that our daughter described to us at dinner a couple of nights ago.
    It is essentially a split screen were a slender woman in a bikini is looking in the mirror and sees a distortedly fat image looking back, while an out of shape man with a large gut hanging over his Speedo sees himself as a Mr. Universe prototype in his mirror!

I think girls are more motivated by social acceptance. I have two girls, they want to blend. I would guess that generational bias has to do with recognizing gifted girls. I would guess a "younger" teacher would be more aware of gifted traits in girls than an "older" one.
    As a side note, I worked in investments and purposely lowered the tone in my voice when speaking in "work" situations. Not so much that I sounded like a freak, of course!
    But I definately felt I was "listened" to more if I did this.

I

Just adding to the GT class boy-girl ratio:

DD7's 2nd grade GT class has 4 students - ALL girls!

I dont know the ratio in the other classes but I am going to guess that girls outnumber the boys.

E
    E
    Just my 2cents:

I think one of the reasons that more boys may be identified as gifted at an earlier age is that so many of them are sent for testing for ADHD type behavor issues. DS's 3rd grade pull out has 4 boys and 1 girl in it. According to the other parents, all of the boys were identified early due to behavior problems. Our school doesn't test for gifted until the end of 3rd grade for a 4th grade start.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM