Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Is it normal for kids to jump from area to area of interest? 2 weeks ago my DS8 could not put down chemistry and element books, this week he can't put down the new dragon books he is reading, and a month ago he couldn't put down the newest game he was creating involving various Star Wars ships vs. the U.S. Navy (or something like that). I go a bit nutty trying to keep up with whatever is the idea du jour, and I worry about his semi-obsessiveness (which doesn't seem to last too long). He does often cycle back into areas of interest, to be honest, and many areas are of lasting interest - but I am not sure whether I should encourage the jumping, or encourage a deeper understanding, or just be amused by all the things his agile little brain is attracted to.

Cat

J
    J
    Don't know if it's "normal" or not, but my DS10 is the same way. He takes what he needs/wants from whatever at the time, then moves on. He usually goes back to different interests, but those he doesn't, I just assume weren't all that appealing to him.

I personally like that he's got an interest in so many different things because it only broadens his world. If he chooses to go more in depth with something, I certainly wouldn't discourage it, though.

OP Offline
    It is hard, because I do like that he is broad in his interests, but I would hate for him to become a master of none... if you know what I mean.

C
    C
    I think this is just one of those areas where people are different. Being able to jump into a new area quickly and get enthusiastic about it is a really valuable thing, I certainly wouldn't discourage it! I would expect if one of these areas has the potential to be something he's keen on in the long term, he'll keep up with it, maybe by keeping returning to it.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    He's eight years old, after all. If he were focusing on one area to the exclusion of all else I'd be worried about making him reasonably well-rounded. I think you have nothing to worry about; eight year olds are not expected to specialize. He's got a long road ahead of him.

Last edited by Iucounu; 06/07/10 02:53 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    DS7 does the same thing. I'm thrilled about it since ASD kids tend to get stuck and obsess. I think of Monty Python..."And now for something completely different."

J
    J
    I am the same way, unfortunately. And I say that because I am the type that is decent at anything I do, but great at nothing. I get very bored, very easily. I envy people that are great at whatever their craft is.

Saying that, however, DS6 is the same way, and I encourage it, even though I have issues personally. At this age, I want him to experience as much as possible. The one thing that "messed me up" was quitting before I got through to the "end", which is where I don't let DS6 go. He has to get to the "end" before deciding he doesn't want/like to do something.

So basically, I wouldn't discourage it at all, unless you start to see signs of "giving up" on that new path when something gets "difficult" (sign of perfectionism). I would call it very normal at 8. smile

C
    C
    JJMom's, I have a sneaking suspicion your version of "decent" is most people's version of outstanding. That being said, I'm pretty much the same way: short-term obsessive? It's as if I have to drain something dry as quickly as possible (be that hours for a book or months for some scholarly topic) then toss it aside. I do come back to some topics again and again, but my chronic indecision has definitely been problematic in my adult life. So, Cat, I'd ditto what JJsMom said -- bredth is fantastic, but make sure he's learning perserverance, too.

J
    J
    And worse, I cannot take a compliment well at all. I'd probably have a booming photography business if I wasn't so self-critical. My father envies me because I can read music. Yet I envy him because he can play anything by ear (other than the harmonica). Had I stuck to an instrument or to lessons, I probably would be "better than average" (I will never agree with outstanding for me personally). So yes, I'm sure that I'm better than most at many different things, but like you, I dive in with full intensity and just let it slowly die.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the advice. One thing it helped me see was that this may be more about me than him (often the case in parenting smile )- as I am much the same way as JJsMom and feel like I have never truly excelled in anything. We do try hard to focus on his effort and he is required to stick with sports, etc. that he selects until the end of the season (not usually a problem, frankly, he tends to like everything). And as my DH pointed out, he does have some long term interests, and the reality is at this age their interests should be changing and developing.

He is thinking about whether to start a language or an instrument and if he does so, that will be the one thing he will be required to make a more lengthy commitment to, so I think that will be a good long term learning experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM