Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Belle - I wouldn't base a decision on Everyday Math. If they are doing it right, it could be fun for your DS since a lot of game play is involved. IT would be easy to supplement that one subject at home if everything else was OK. Are they OK w/ accelerating him in math a few grade levels?

Dazey

P
    P
    Belle, so sorry to hear that the meeting went so poorly. I have to say I heartily agree with several of the previous comments:

1. Follow up with that gifted teacher - they often know the system from the inside and can provide sympathetic contacts at the next level up so you can build your case with insiders at a higher level than the school principal and guidance counselor.

2. I would have that tape recorder at every meeting from this point forward with every single staff member.

3. Even though it sounds like you have decided this school is not the place, please write a letter documenting the discussion and the results of the meeting. In that letter, I still think you should ask for what you think you want - 1 or even 2 grade skip, accelerated classes, independent study, etc. Explain why their objections from the meeting are baseless (no additional cost). Reference the procedural safeguards - you should get a copy at every meeting you go to - attach a copy with your letter with the relevant sections highlighted, along with a copy of the relevant sections of the School Progression Plan.

I suggest this because even if you abandon the idea of public school you may come back to it, next year or the next, or the next. Rather than starting over each year, build your record as formally as possible and it becomes apparent over time to anyone that they school system is uncooperative and not meeting their requirements.

One of my great frustrations has been that the schools I am familiar with don't seem to use any grade-based assessment - no MAP, no other year-end assessment, but they live and breathe that FCAT. At my school they do pre-tests all year long and are still doing post-tests this month! On the other hand, the results are not volunteered and they act like you are butting it when you ask for them. I'd be willing to bet that 90% ( or more) of the parents at my school don't even know about these assessments or how their kids are doing.

In the letter I would include a specific request that they identify what tests or assessments would be acceptable to demonstrate mastery for the various standards needed to determine an appropriate grade placement. Put them on the spot - if what you have isn't good enough, ask them to tell you what is. Then they should give you something to work with or basically admit they don't have any way to assess any students at grade level.

I'm available if you want to PM - I'll be sure to check in this week.

Prissy
    S
    S
    So sorry for you and this awful meeting you had. My heart goes out to you! You already got some good advice and I would definitely talk with the gifted teacher more. Remember that even though this guidance counselor was saying awful things, she is not in charge of the school or the district choices by any means. I would suggest finding out who is in charge of things. For us we wrote a letter and attached testing to the district superintendent of curriculum and had our initial meeting with just him in the and principal. We did encounter people along the way that had many awful things to say, but after they got to know DS and meet him they knew he wouldn't work out in a regular classroom. I wonder if saying something to a principal such as "I know that you don't know him and haven't personally seen him in a classroom yet, but maybe you would be willing to meet him and have him come in to get to know where he may fit best" That may change things. Our school tried DS out in a couple different classrooms. Our district has only ever done one gradeskip before my DS's in their whole history as far as I know of. Meeting him helped things out. However, you are going to want more than just one skip probably (for us we need lots of additional acceleration) so they need to be on board with that as well. And they absolutely have to have some sort of end of year testing to see what kids are supposed to know for the next year. that is ridiculous for them to say that they don't have that sort of testing. They clearly should know standards to move to the next grade. Or they could take state assessments if they have that. My DS5 just took the 3rd grade state math assessments as part of the districts plan to see what level of Math to give him next year.

And the behavior thing is so annoying. Kids act out to tell you that something is wrong. Can you imagine the principal sitting in 5th grade class all day and being engaged and acting appropriately? All research shows that you meet the academic needs and then the behaviors after if they are even still an issue.

So frustrating. Feel free to PM if you have other questions about our advocacy efforts.

Val Offline
    Hi Belle,

I'm so sorry; if it makes you feel less bad, I'm fuming with you too, like so many others here.

Originally Posted by Belle
    I was told by the guidance counselor (and that she was also speaking for the principal) that by no way/shape/form would they agree to an acceleration at this point even with all of our testing/data/full psychologist report/work samples.

An idea occurred to me: how do you know that the guidance counselor was saying exactly what the principal told her to say? How do you know she didn't substitute some of her own more radical beliefs for his? She could have assumed that you wouldn't tell him/her what she said.

Just recently, someone told me "I am speaking for Jane." When I told Jane what had been said in her name, she was...not impressed.

I agree with Prissy's suggestion that you quote Florida law at them IN WRITING and ask for a response IN WRITING. Inky's URL looked really helpful, too. Your letter could include one or two quotes from the guidance counselor. Pick good ones that flout Florida law, and then pose politely worded questions asking why the principal instructed the guidance counselor to ignore the law. "Is this your policy? If so, please explain its basis in law, in writing." Include a paragraph explaining that you're only trying to ensure that your son's educational needs are met and that you aren't asking for anything more than the law allows. Make that paragraph a bit syrupy.

Also send a copy of the letter to the school board so that you can't be ignored.

If you've decided for another option, ignore everything I've said. Otherwise, this approach can be extremely effective.

Val

Hang in there Belle!

Wow Prissy, I like the way you think. Will you come with me to my next meeting?

Originally Posted by Val
    Include a paragraph explaining that you're only trying to ensure that your son's educational needs are met and that you aren't asking for anything more than the law allows.

Val

This is my line too. And certain school personnel have suggested to me that I would make a good lawyer. Haha!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM