Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    If you haven't already done so, take some time to read through the report, "A Nation Deceived"
    http://www.nationdeceived.org/

There's an executive summary to get your feet wet (http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/Executive_Summary.aspx), and then you can plow into the full report for all the gory details.

You should also take some time to read some of the Personal Stories at the Nation Deceived website from students, teachers & parents:
    http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Personal_Stories/Read.aspx

This article might also be of interest, because it addresses some of the concerns of NOT putting your child into an appropriately challenging environment:
    What a Child Doesn't Learn
    http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430

Our son skipped K, starting 1st @ age 4y11m. As with your child, the recommendation for skip came from the school... just a couple days before the start of the new school year! At that point, I was extremely ignorant about the world of GT-Ed, and even more clueless about all the potential testing. I'd have to say that reading through the personal stories above helped me the most.

Our son completed a second skip a few months back (at age 8) from 4th into 5th (6th for math) and is doing very well, both academically and socially.

Despite my frequent recommendation of the "Nation Deceived" report, I'll be the first to acknowledge that grade-skipping (single or multiple) isn't for everyone. And, as many have discovered, grade-skipping doesn't always provide a "fix" in and of itself.

But you're off to a good start -- you're asking questions.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Val Offline
    My daughter started 1st grade at age 5 years and a few days. The school tested her, and it was a no-brainer to do the skip from their perspective. They gave her extra acceleration in a couple subjects immediately.

They made the decision after she spent a couple days in school last May. The visit was a wonderful experience for her because it gave her a precise idea of what to expect from school. From that point onward, she was very excited about school. There was no anxiety at all. So, put me down as agreeing with Austin's suggestion to let her spend some time in the first grade class.

It was clear that she wouldn't have got anything at all out of kindergarten. She's been very happy and has actually been learning stuff.

Val

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...