Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think the diagnosis was based on the overall spread of her scores and the discrepancy between IQ and achievement scores.

I asked about the GAI, but the psychologist said that the GAI would not be meaningful since her VCI/PRI spread is 25 points.

I do suspect some kind of visual perception issue...I'm not really sure if or how to pursue that, yet.

They gave her the Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration.

Oh, and she said she substituted Cancellation for Coding because Coding was a possible problem area for DD since it involves drawing symbols in little boxes.

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 06/02/08 09:28 AM.
    Cathy, I haven't read this whole thread but I did pick up on your comment about visual perception issue. My DS10 has been in therapy for visual perception/tracking issues since October and it has been such a help for him. You can pm me if you'd like some information on this (I've posted it a bunch of times so I hate to bore everyone else out there!!) smile

S
    S
    Cathy - if you go to the website I left, covd.org, you can put in your zip code and find an optometrist in your area who does this type of evaluation (it's different from a regular eye exam). That's how you get started - you just call for an appt. That's the easy part smile The hard part is if she needs therapy - for us the therapy visits are weekly, but the daily homework can be trying, especially at the beginning.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, snowgirl. I'll check it out.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie, I don't have the tables. What would her processing speed standard score and her FSIQ be if you used symbol search (11) and cancellation (14)?

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, Dottie! That's very interesting. I specifically asked the psychologist if she substituted something and she emailed me that she substituted cancellation for coding. Maybe she just typed them into the computer wrong?

I asked her about the extended scoring on Vocab. (18) DD's raw score was not high enough that it would change with extended scoring.

I think the psychologist thinks I'm a little nuts for being interested in how the numbers work out. But I like numbers! grin

For now, it doesn't really matter and most programs would accept DD's 140 VCI as proof of GTness, I think.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM