Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M

Last edited by Mom0405; 05/06/10 06:46 PM.

M
    M
    Your PM's are full; so here it goes. I don't mind sharing, it's just long...so everyone else beware.;)

My DS5 has expressive language disorder. A few of the things you've said hit a chord with me. Large vocab, but not spoken; grammar problems; grasping for the right words at times (in my DS's case) especially when he's excited about something. Asking about the definition of 3rd or 4th difficult word. He (my DS) probably forgot the earlier ones.:) although, he has a crazy (weird-good) memory with some things. My DS prefers to figure things out by himself, usually; but just started asking definition questions. Here is a definition Of ELD from an article on it: ["Expressive language disorder (DSM 315.31) is a communication disorder which is characterised by having a limited vocabulary and grasp of grammar. It is a general language impairment that puts the person onto the level of a younger person and also a person can be as young as 2 or 3 years old with the disorder.
    As well as present speech production, very often, someone will have difficulty remembering things. This memory problem is only disturbing for speech; non-verbal or non-linguistically based memory will be unimpaired.
    Expressive language disorder affects work and schooling in many ways. It is usually treated by specific speech therapy, and usually cannot be expected to go away on its own."]

The time4learning we use is great for him...very visual and I'll then add a short worksheet or manipulative if he seems like he's not getting it. He also, as you've voiced on a different thread, like your DS, seems sometimes to not be trying; but in actuality he is taking a minute to absorb it. Then he knows it. One other thing about my DS is that since he doesn't always get the definition of the word due to context, he also takes some words more literally, if they have 2 or more meanings. eg. We were talking about chance/probability (math) and the unit asked which was more "likely" to be picked out of a bowl, one of the 10 blue blocks, or one of the two orange blocks. Well, he "liked" Orange; so that's what he picked. lol. When I changed the verbage he got it. This too is associated with the disorder.

If it doesn't seem to fit, we are all just more informed.:)

My DS has a crazy (good) memory, is reading at almost 2nd grade; but doesn't like to unless it's in his time4learning.com unit. He has over 250 sight words, which he prefers to phonics. He has a huge vocaublary; i.e., if you asked what something was that was a difficult word - he would know it; but wouldnt use it in his speech.

Okay, last thing, a good SLP would be able to pick out expressive or receptive language problems at this point, which covers a lot of your worries. And if they work in an office that has OT's and have specific specialties themselves in other things they would be able to rule out other things because they help kids with CAPD, etc. SLP's are instrumental in the therapy of CAPD.

Have to go. Hope it helped some. I didn't review this; so there may be errors.
    Hugs!

Last edited by Mom0405; 05/16/10 08:39 PM.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm sorry! I didn't realize my box had filled up. I cleared some space. Thanks for being persistent. smile

This does sound very familiar! Thank you for sharing it. Sorry, but what's an SLP?

I'll look for more about this and definitely ask about it. Thanks so much, Michelle!

(And thanks to everyone else who posted. I'm behind, but catching up...)

Kriston
    S
    S
    SLP = speech and language therapist

I just sent you a PM

M
    M
    Kriston,I PM'd you.

Last edited by Mom0405; 05/06/10 06:44 PM.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, friends! I'm searching now, since this is really ringing bells for me.

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs