Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #7430 01/17/08 03:09 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Our meeting went very well. I'll start at the beginning, though...

Last night I sat and talked with dd. It took a while but we finally started to get to the root of the problem. One issue is that are things in class that are repetitive and she doesn't like that. The main issue, however, really has nothing to do with boredom at all, though. Dd started talking about the class working on a new subject and how on their pre-test, she got every answer wrong. She was very disappointed with herself for not already knowing the material. We talked about how she's not going to know everything and that that is ok!

So at the meting her teacher told me that she talked with dd this morning to try and get an idea about whats bothering her. We all 3 sat and talked about what she liked and disliked and I think it was good for dd to verbalize these issues with both of us. She opened up about the repetition and her teacher explained to dd the benefit of making sure an idea is completely understood and also that any time dd has mastered something her teacher takes it a step further with dd, giving dd more complex versions of whatever they're working on. I don't think dd realized that.

There was a lot discussed and since Im typing one handed (had wrist surgery) I will cut this short but after our conversation it was very clear that dd's teacher was very concerned and very willing to do whatever she needs to to make sure dd is challenged and happy. I think dd felt a million times better after this as well.

Oh, and re; the science issue...Her teacher got dd permission to enter the school's science fair! smile I guess its for 3-6 graders and the projects are class or group projects but they are allowing dd to submit an individual project. You should've seen dd's face light up when she heard the news. It was wonderful.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and advice, ladies. I'm very happy that I took the advice to talk with her teacher. smile

Well done, my friend!

Sounds like DD is so lucky to have an amazing teacher.
    DD7 and DD5 are also entering the science fair, they allow all grades including kindergarten, I guess we are lucky here.
    Fun Stuff!!!

It's hard for the small ones to be "mature" enought to sit through the repetition simply because they are expected to.
    I empathize with both of you!!

I

Yea for you and your DD!!! Maybe I will be so inspired to talk to DS's teacher too. I don't think she'd be nearly as receptive though. I am so glad to hear your teacher cares so much and is willing to work with you and your DD - good going and good luck with the science fair! smile

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks all. smile

Dottie - Yes, I have an addiction. I need to go to "posters anonymous!" Hey, think I can attend online? HAHA!

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, and I just found out that we meet with the 5th grade teacher tomorrow to get the rules etc for the science fair. We're in the process now of coming up with a project. It's cute watching dd brainstorm ideas...lol..she's all smiles right now.

A
    A
    Yippee ay ay!! Go girlfriend!
    aline

Mia Offline
    Sounds like a great meeting -- productive even! I find so many of these meetings to be all talk and no action. I like to get the ball rolling -- and it sounds like your dd's teacher feels that way too.

Congrats on a meeting well handled!

Mia
    Mia #7512 01/18/08 12:22 PM
    DS11 still doesn't get that just because he's heard a topic before, that there just might possibly be some new information to gather. Drives me nuts, but I have to admit that he was born to be a self-directed learner, and that when his 'brain-door' is open he can learn huge chunks...like the elephant analogy over on hoagiesgifted.org Too bad I'm not in a position to homelearn him. ((shrug)) and so swiftly it seems the time for him to be openly interested in learning is passing and 'being cool' is the new priority.

That are what they are.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM