Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #74678 04/23/10 02:29 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/26/13 07:32 PM.
    I
    I
    The "issue is effort, not grade" slide makes a good point. Thanks for posting it.

"What a Child Doesn't Learn" is pretty powerful:
    http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430

J
    J

Not sure if this will help you, but I've heard:

If a child does well in sports, do you hold them back, and tell them not to run that fast? Wait for the other children to catch up?

If a child is musically inclined, do you tell them to stop practicing?

If a child can draw, do you tell them to stop?

If a child can learn at a fast pace, ...

(I don't have the exact phrase, but it was something like that. Perhaps someone else knows...)

M
    M
    I don't know if this will be any help to you.

Page 32, Part 2.
    Talks about levels of giftedness and the classroom. Uses some older IQ numbers in parts but primarily talks in levels.

http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/scho..._modules/extension_mod1_primary_pdf.htm.

PS. If link appears broken, click on cached copy.

G
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    GeniusZooKeeper
    Unregistered
    G
    The best argument I think of is that if you don't allow him to grow at his own pace, he will probably become a problem both in class and at home when he begins acting out his frustration and boredom. It really burns me that schools are so quick to encourage mediocrity.

Originally Posted by master of none
    Second, I asked which was the best solution in her mind, for us to work toward. Her answer was that she just wished she was born like everybody else and didn't have this problem. She said she didn't care what happened as long as she could feel better.

Ouch!!!!
    That's a tough thing to hear. Some little gifties can say it, and mean it with all the intensity of their souls, and then be fine 5 minutes later, relieved simply by being listened to. But if what she says fits what you are seeing long term - that is a call to action.

((hugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by jesse
    Not sure if this will help you, but I've heard:

If a child does well in sports, do you hold them back, and tell them not to run that fast? Wait for the other children to catch up?

I've used this one quite a bit. I have friends that have athletic kids that don't "get" why I try to get DS what he needs in school. I don't know if it's changed any minds but it makes them thing.

M
    M
    The following link contains a survey regarding adolescent and teacher attitudes toward gifted students, those with daughters should find the results particularly interesting. It also has an interesting story under the title - Why do we accept sporting talent so readily?

http://www.dest.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/0BDB5F1C-E56B-4A10-B47F-66275050522E/13920/SpecModule3_PRIM.pdf

I
    I
    Thanks for posting that link. Loved the story about Mr. Palcuzzi�s PTA! grin
    This part was disturbing: frown
    Indeed, teachers have been found to adhere quite strongly to one of the most prevalent gender stereotypes; that boys are innately brighter than girls and that when girls� achievement matches that of boys it is because girls have worked harder (Arnold, 1995).

Originally Posted by matmum
    It also has an interesting story under the title - Why do we accept sporting talent so readily?

I would hazard a guess that we approve of sporting talent because it ultimately entertains us and because we can understand it and because we can understand it we admire it even if we can never achieve it. On the other hand, if someone is a brilliant physicist and there is a competition of physicists, who would attend since most likely even other physicists studying a different topic would have trouble understanding. Kind of like watching a spelling bee in another language.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM